The following events took place on February 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1339The Milanese army and the St. George’s (San Giorgio) Mercenaries of Lodrisio Visconti clashed in the Battle of Parabiago.
- 1472Orkney and Shetland are pawned by Norway to Scotland in lieu of a dowry for Margaret of Denmark.
- 1547Edward VI of England is crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey.
- 1685René-Robert Cavelier establishes Fort St. Louis at Matagorda Bay thus forming the basis for France’s claim to Texas.
- 1792The Postal Service Act, establishing the United States Post Office Department, is signed by United States President George Washington.
- 1798Louis-Alexandre Berthier removes Pope Pius VI from power.
- 1810Andreas Hofer, Tirolean patriot and leader of rebellion against Napoleon’s forces, is executed.
- 1813Manuel Belgrano defeats the royalist army of Pío de Tristán during the Battle of Salta.
- 1816Rossini’s opera The Barber of Seville premieres at the Teatro Argentina in Rome.
- 1835Concepción, Chile is destroyed by an earthquake.
- 1846Polish insurgents lead an uprising in Kraków to incite a fight for national independence.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Olustee: The largest battle fought in Florida during the war.
- 1865End of the Uruguayan War, with a peace agreement between President Tomás Villalba and rebel leader Venancio Flores, setting the scene for the destructive War of the Triple Alliance.
- 1872In New York City the Metropolitan Museum of Art opens.
- 1873The University of California opens its first medical school in San Francisco.
- 1877Tchaikovsky’s ballet Swan Lake receives its première performance at the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow.
- 1901The legislature of Hawaii Territory convenes for the first time.
- 1909Publication of the Futurist Manifesto in the French journal Le Figaro.
- 1913King O'Malley drives in the first survey peg to mark commencement of work on the construction of Canberra.
- 1921The Young Communist League of Czechoslovakia is founded.
- 1931The Congress of the United States approves the construction of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge by the state of California.
- 1933The Congress of the United States proposes the Twenty-first Amendment to the United States Constitution that will end Prohibition in the United States.
- 1933Adolf Hitler secretly meets with German industrialists to arrange for financing of the Nazi Party’s upcoming election campaign.
- 1935Caroline Mikkelsen becomes the first woman to set foot in Antarctica.
- 1942Lieutenant Edward O'Hare becomes America’s first World War II flying ace.
- 1943American movie studio executives agree to allow the Office of War Information to censor movies.
- 1943The Parícutin volcano begins to form in Parícutin, Mexico.
- 1943The Saturday Evening Post publishes the first of Norman Rockwell’s Four Freedoms in support of United States President Franklin Roosevelt’s 1941 State of the Union address theme of Four Freedoms.
- 1944World War II: The “Big Week” began with American bomber raids on German aircraft manufacturing centers.
- 1944World War II: The United States takes Eniwetok Island.
Curious about this Green Jelly Heart? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!