The following events took place on February 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 362Athanasius returns to Alexandria.
- 1245Thomas, the first known Bishop of Finland, is granted resignation after confessing to torture and forgery.
- 1437James I of Scotland is assassinated.
- 1440The Prussian Confederation is formed.
- 1543Battle of Wayna Daga – A combined army of Ethiopian and Portuguese troops defeats a Muslim army led by Ahmed Gragn.
- 1613Mikhail I is unanimously elected Tsar by a national assembly, beginning the Romanov dynasty of Imperial Russia.
- 1804The first self-propelling steam locomotive makes its outing at the Pen-y-Darren Ironworks in Wales.
- 1808Without a previous declaration of war, Russian troops cross the border to Sweden at Abborfors in eastern Finland, thus beginning the Finnish War, in which Sweden will lose the eastern half of the country (i.e. Finland) to Russia.
- 1828Initial issue of the Cherokee Phoenix is the first periodical to use the Cherokee syllabary invented by Sequoyah.
- 1842John Greenough is granted the first U.S. patent for the sewing machine.
- 1848Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish The Communist Manifesto.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Valverde is fought near Fort Craig in New Mexico Territory.
- 1874The Oakland Daily Tribune publishes its first edition.
- 1878The first telephone directory is issued in New Haven, Connecticut.
- 1885The newly completed Washington Monument is dedicated.
- 1896An Englishman raised in Australia, Bob Fitzsimmons, fought an Irishman, Peter Maher, in an American promoted event which technically took place in Mexico, winning the 1896 World Heavyweight Championship in boxing.
- 1913Ioannina is incorporated into the Greek state after the Balkan Wars.
- 1916World War I: In France, the Battle of Verdun begins.
- 1918The last Carolina parakeet dies in captivity at the Cincinnati Zoo.
- 1919German socialist Kurt Eisner is assassinated. His death results in the establishment of the Bavarian Soviet Republic and parliament and government fleeing Munich, Germany.
- 1921Constituent Assembly of the Democratic Republic of Georgia adopts the country’s first constitution.
- 1921Rezā Shāh takes control of Tehran during a successful coup
- 1925The New Yorker publishes its first issue.
- 1937The League of Nations bans foreign national “volunteers” in the Spanish Civil War.
- 1945World War II: Japanese kamikaze planes sink the escort carrier USS Bismarck Sea and damage the USS Saratoga.
- 1947In New York City, Edwin Land demonstrates the first “instant camera”, the Polaroid Land Camera, to a meeting of the Optical Society of America.
- 1948NASCAR is incorporated.
- 1952The British government, under Winston Churchill, abolishes identity cards in the UK to “set the people free”.
- 1952The Bengali Language Movement protests occur at the University of Dhaka in East Pakistan (now Bangladesh).
- 1958The peace symbol, commissioned by Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in protest against the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, is designed and completed by Gerald Holtom.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!