The following events took place on February 22. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 705Empress Wu Zetian abdicates the throne, restoring the Tang dynasty.
- 1316Battle of Picotin between Ferdinand of Majorca and the forces of Matilda of Hainaut
- 1371Robert II becomes King of Scotland, beginning the Stuart dynasty.
- 1495King Charles VIII of France enters Naples to claim the city’s throne.
- 1632Galileo’s Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief World Systems is published.
- 1651St. Peter’s Flood: A storm surge floods the Frisian coast, drowning 15,000 people.
- 1744War of the Austrian Succession: The Battle of Toulon begins.
- 1797The Last Invasion of Britain begins near Fishguard, Wales.
- 1819By the Adams–Onís Treaty, Spain sells Florida to the United States for five million U.S. dollars.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis crosses the Prut river at Sculeni into the Danubian Principalities.
- 1847Mexican–American War: The Battle of Buena Vista – 5,000 American troops defeat 15,000 Mexicans.
- 1848The French Revolution of 1848, which would lead to the establishment of the French Second Republic, begins.
- 1853Washington University in St. Louis is founded as Eliot Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1855The Pennsylvania State University is founded in State College, Pennsylvania (as the Farmers’ High School of Pennsylvania)
- 1856The United States Republican Party opens its first national meeting in Pittsburgh.
- 1862Jefferson Davis is officially inaugurated for a six-year term as the President of the Confederate States of America in Richmond, Virginia. He was previously inaugurated as a provisional president on February 18, 1861.
- 1872The Prohibition Party holds its first national convention in Columbus, Ohio, nominating James Black as its presidential nominee.
- 1879In Utica, New York, Frank Woolworth opens the first of many of 5 and dime Woolworth stores.
- 1889United States President Grover Cleveland signs a bill admitting North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana and Washington as U.S. states.
- 1899Filipino forces led by General Antonio Luna launch counterattacks for the first time against the American forces during the Philippine–American War. The Filipinos fail to regain Manila from the Americans.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)