The following events took place on February 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 303Galerius publishes his edict that begins the persecution of Christians in his portion of the Roman Empire.
- 484King Huneric removes the Christian bishops from their offices and banished some to Corsica. A few are martyred, including former proconsul Victorian along with Frumentius and other merchants. They are killed at Hadrumetum after refusing to become Arians.
- 1303Battle of Roslin, of the First War of Scottish Independence.
- 1387King Charles III of Naples and Hungary is assassinated at Buda.
- 1525Spanish-Imperial army defeat French army at Battle of Pavia.
- 1538Treaty of Nagyvárad between Ferdinand I and John Zápolya.
- 1582With the papal bull Inter gravissimas, Pope Gregory XIII announces the Gregorian calendar.
- 1607L'Orfeo by Claudio Monteverdi, one of the first works recognized as an opera, receives its première performance.
- 1711The London première of Rinaldo by George Frideric Handel, the first Italian opera written for the London stage.
- 1803In Marbury v. Madison, the Supreme Court of the United States establishes the principle of judicial review.
- 1809London’s Drury Lane Theatre burns to the ground, leaving owner Richard Brinsley Sheridan destitute.
- 1821Final stage of the Mexican War of Independence from Spain with Plan of Iguala .
- 1822The first Swaminarayan temple in the world, Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, Ahmedabad, is inaugurated.
- 1826The signing of the Treaty of Yandabo marks the end of the First Anglo-Burmese War.
- 1831The Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek, the first removal treaty in accordance with the Indian Removal Act, is proclaimed. The Choctaws in Mississippi cede land east of the river in exchange for payment and land in the West.
- 1848King Louis-Philippe of France abdicates the throne.
- 1863Arizona is organized as a United States territory.
- 1868Andrew Johnson becomes the first President of the United States to be impeached by the United States House of Representatives. He is later acquitted in the Senate.
- 1875The SS Gothenburg hits the Great Barrier Reef and sinks off the Australian east coast, killing approximately 100, including a number of high-profile civil servants and dignitaries.
- 1881China and Russia sign the Sino-Russian Ili Treaty.
- 1895Revolution breaks out in Baire, a town near Santiago de Cuba, beginning the Cuban War of Independence, that ends with the Spanish–American War in 1898.
- 1916The Governor-General of Korea establishes a clinic called Jahyewon in Sorokdo to segregate Hansen’s disease patients.
- 1917World War I: The U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom is given the Zimmermann Telegram, in which Germany pledges to ensure the return of New Mexico, Texas, and Arizona to Mexico if Mexico declares war on the United States.
- 1918Estonian Declaration of Independence.
- 1920The Nazi Party is founded.
- 1942The Battle of Los Angeles, one of the largest documented UFO sightings in history; the event lasted into the early hours of February 25.
- 1942An order-in-council passed under the Defence of Canada Regulations of the War Measures Act gives the Canadian federal government the power to intern all “persons of Japanese racial origin”.
- 1944Merrill’s Marauders: The Marauders begin their 1,000-mile journey through Japanese occupied Burma.
- 1945Egyptian Premier Ahmad Mahir Pasha is killed in Parliament after reading a decree.
- 1946Colonel Juan Perón, founder of the political movement that became known as Peronism, elected to his first term as President of Argentina.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!