The following events took place on February 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 138The Roman emperor Hadrian adopts Antoninus Pius, effectively making him his successor.
- 493Odoacer surrenders Ravenna after a 3-year siege and agrees to a mediated peace with Theoderic the Great.
- 628Khosrau II is overthrown by his son Kavadh II.
- 1336Four thousand defenders of Pilėnai commit mass suicide rather than be taken captive by the Teutonic Knights.
- 1631François de Bassompierre, a French courtier, is arrested on Richelieu’s orders.
- 1797Colonel William Tate and his force of 1000–1500 soldiers surrender after the Last invasion of Britain.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis issues a proclamation at Iași, announcing that he had “the support of a great power” (i.e. Russia).
- 1831Battle of Olszynka Grochowska, part of Polish November Uprising against Russian Empire.
- 1836Samuel Colt is granted a United States patent for the Colt revolver.
- 1843Lord George Paulet occupies the Kingdom of Hawaii in the name of Great Britain in the Paulet Affair (1843).
- 1848Provisional government in revolutionary France, by Louis Blanc‘s motion, guarantees workers’rights.
- 1856A Peace conference opens in Paris after the Crimean War.
- 1866Miners in Calaveras County, California, discover what is now called the Calaveras Skull - human remains that supposedly indicated that man, mastodons, and elephants had co-existed.
- 1870Hiram Rhodes Revels, a Republican from Mississippi, is sworn into the United States Senate, becoming the first African American ever to sit in the U.S. Congress.
- 1875Guangxu Emperor of Qing dynasty China begins his reign, under Empress Dowager Cixi’s regency.
- 1901J. P. Morgan incorporates the United States Steel Corporation.
- 1912Marie-Adélaïde, the eldest of six daughters of Guillaume IV, becomes the first reigning Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
- 1916World War I: The Germans capture Fort Douaumont during the Battle of Verdun.
- 1919Oregon places a one cent per U.S. gallon tax on gasoline, becoming the first U.S. state to levy a gasoline tax.
- 1921Tbilisi, capital of the Democratic Republic of Georgia, is occupied by Bolshevist Russia.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)