The following events took place on February 25. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 138The Roman emperor Hadrian adopts Antoninus Pius, effectively making him his successor.
- 493Odoacer surrenders Ravenna after a 3-year siege and agrees to a mediated peace with Theoderic the Great.
- 628Khosrau II is overthrown by his son Kavadh II.
- 1336Four thousand defenders of Pilėnai commit mass suicide rather than be taken captive by the Teutonic Knights.
- 1631François de Bassompierre, a French courtier, is arrested on Richelieu’s orders.
- 1797Colonel William Tate and his force of 1000–1500 soldiers surrender after the Last invasion of Britain.
- 1821Greek War of Independence: Alexander Ypsilantis issues a proclamation at Iași, announcing that he had “the support of a great power” (i.e. Russia).
- 1831Battle of Olszynka Grochowska, part of Polish November Uprising against Russian Empire.
- 1836Samuel Colt is granted a United States patent for the Colt revolver.
- 1843Lord George Paulet occupies the Kingdom of Hawaii in the name of Great Britain in the Paulet Affair (1843).
- 1848Provisional government in revolutionary France, by Louis Blanc‘s motion, guarantees workers’rights.
- 1856A Peace conference opens in Paris after the Crimean War.
- 1866Miners in Calaveras County, California, discover what is now called the Calaveras Skull - human remains that supposedly indicated that man, mastodons, and elephants had co-existed.
- 1870Hiram Rhodes Revels, a Republican from Mississippi, is sworn into the United States Senate, becoming the first African American ever to sit in the U.S. Congress.
- 1875Guangxu Emperor of Qing dynasty China begins his reign, under Empress Dowager Cixi’s regency.
- 1901J. P. Morgan incorporates the United States Steel Corporation.
- 1912Marie-Adélaïde, the eldest of six daughters of Guillaume IV, becomes the first reigning Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
- 1916World War I: The Germans capture Fort Douaumont during the Battle of Verdun.
- 1919Oregon places a one cent per U.S. gallon tax on gasoline, becoming the first U.S. state to levy a gasoline tax.
- 1921Tbilisi, capital of the Democratic Republic of Georgia, is occupied by Bolshevist Russia.
- 1928Charles Jenkins Laboratories of Washington, D.C. becomes the first holder of a broadcast license for television from the Federal Radio Commission.
- 1932Adolf Hitler obtains German citizenship by naturalization, which allows him to run in the 1932 election for Reichspräsident.
- 1933The USS Ranger is launched. It is the first US Navy ship to be built solely as an aircraft carrier.
- 1941February strike: In occupied Amsterdam, a general strike is declared in response to increasing anti-Jewish measures instituted by the Nazis.
- 1945World War II: Turkey declares war on Germany.
- 1947The State of Prussia ceases to exist.
- 1948The Communist Party takes control of government in Czechoslovakia and the period of the Third Republic ends.
- 1951The first Pan American Games are held in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 1954Gamal Abdel Nasser is made premier of Egypt.
- 1956In his speech On the Cult of Personality and Its Consequences, Nikita Khrushchev, leader of the Soviet Union denounces the cult of personality of Joseph Stalin.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!