The following events took place on February 27. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 58 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 380Edict of Thessalonica: Emperor Theodosius I, with co-emperors Gratian and Valentinian II, declare their wish that all Roman citizens convert to trinitarian Christianity.
- 425The University of Constantinople is founded by Emperor Theodosius II at the urging of his wife Aelia Eudocia.
- 907Abaoji, a Khitan chieftain, is enthroned as Emperor Taizu, establishing the Liao dynasty in northern China.
- 1560The Treaty of Berwick, which would expel the French from Scotland, is signed by England and the Lords of the Congregation of Scotland.
- 1594Henry IV is crowned King of France.
- 1617Sweden and Russia sign the Treaty of Stolbovo, ending the Ingrian War and shutting Russia out of the Baltic Sea.
- 1626Yuan Chonghuan is appointed Governor of Liaodong, after he led the Chinese into a great victory against the Manchurians under Nurhaci.
- 1700The island of New Britain is discovered.
- 1776American Revolutionary War: The Battle of Moore’s Creek Bridge in North Carolina breaks up a Loyalist militia.
- 1782American Revolutionary War: The House of Commons of Great Britain votes against further war in America.
- 1801Pursuant to the District of Columbia Organic Act of 1801, Washington, D.C. is placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress.
- 1809Action of 27 February 1809: Captain Bernard Dubourdieu captures HMS Proserpine
- 1812Argentine War of Independence: Manuel Belgrano raises the Flag of Argentina in the city of Rosario for the first time.
- 1812Poet Lord Byron gives his first address as a member of the House of Lords, in defense of Luddite violence against Industrialism in his home county of Nottinghamshire.
- 1829Battle of Tarqui is fought.
- 1844The Dominican Republic gains independence from Haiti.
- 1860Abraham Lincoln makes a speech at Cooper Union in the city of New York that is largely responsible for his election to the Presidency.
- 1861Russian troops fire on a crowd in Warsaw protesting against Russian rule over Poland, killing five protesters.
- 1864American Civil War: The first Northern prisoners arrive at the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
- 1870The current flag of Japan is first adopted as the national flag for Japanese merchant ships.
- 1881First Boer War: The Battle of Majuba Hill takes place.
- 1898King George I of Greece survives an assassination attempt.
- 1900Second Boer War: In South Africa, British military leaders receive an unconditional notice of surrender from Boer General Piet Cronjé at the Battle of Paardeberg.
- 1900The British Labour Party is founded.
- 1900Fußball-Club Bayern München is founded.
- 1902Second Boer War: Australian soldiers Harry ‘Breaker’Morant and Peter Handcock are executed in Pretoria for war crimes.
- 1921The International Working Union of Socialist Parties is founded in Vienna.
- 1922A challenge to the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, allowing women the right to vote, is rebuffed by the Supreme Court of the United States in Leser v. Garnett.
- 1933Reichstag fire: Germany’s parliament building in Berlin, the Reichstag, is set on fire; Marinus van der Lubbe, a young Dutch Communist claims responsibility. The Nazis used the fire to solidify their power and eliminate the communists as political rivals.
- 1939United States labor law: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that sit-down strikes violate property owners’ rights and are therefore illegal.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)