The following events took place on February 5. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 62Earthquake in Pompeii, Italy.
- 756An Lushan, leader of a revolt against the Tang Dynasty. He declares himself emperor and establishes the state of Yan.
- 1576Henry of Navarre abjures Catholicism at Tours and rejoins the Protestant forces in the French Wars of Religion.
- 1597A group of early Japanese Christians are killed by the new government of Japan for being seen as a threat to Japanese society.
- 1631Roger Williams emigrates to Boston.
- 1778South Carolina becomes the second state to ratify the Articles of Confederation.
- 1782Spanish defeat British forces and capture Minorca.
- 1783In Calabria a sequence of strong earthquakes begins.
- 1810Peninsular War: Siege of Cádiz begins.
- 1818Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte ascends to the thrones of Sweden and Norway.
- 1849University of Wisconsin–Madison’s first class meets at Madison Female Academy.
- 1852The New Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, Russia, one of the largest and oldest museums in the world, opens to the public.
- 1859Wallachia and Moldavia are united under Alexandru Ioan Cuza as the United Principalities, an autonomous region within the Ottoman Empire, which ushered the birth of the modern Romanian state.
- 1869The largest alluvial gold nugget in history, called the “Welcome Stranger”, is found in Moliagul, Victoria, Australia.
- 1885King Leopold II of Belgium establishes the Congo as a personal possession.
- 1900The United States and the United Kingdom sign a treaty for the Panama Canal.
- 1905in Mexico, the General Hospital of Mexico is inaugurated, started with 4 basic specialities.
- 1909Belgian chemist Leo Baekeland announces the creation of Bakelite, the world’s first synthetic plastic.
- 1913Greek military aviators, Michael Moutoussis and Aristeidis Moraitinis perform the first naval air mission in history, with a Farman MF.7 hydroplane.
- 1917The current constitution of Mexico is adopted, establishing a federal republic with powers separated into independent executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
- 1917The Congress of the United States passes the Immigration Act of 1917 over President Woodrow Wilson’s veto. Also known as the Asiatic Barred Zone Act, it forbade immigration from nearly all of south and southeast Asia.
- 1918Stephen W. Thompson shoots down a German airplane. It is the first aerial victory by the U.S. military.
- 1918SS Tuscania is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland; it is the first ship carrying American troops to Europe to be torpedoed and sunk.
- 1919Charlie Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and D. W. Griffith launch United Artists.
- 1924The Royal Greenwich Observatory begins broadcasting the hourly time signals known as the Greenwich Time Signal or the “BBC pips”.
- 1937United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt proposes a plan to enlarge the Supreme Court of the United States.
- 1939Generalísimo Francisco Franco becomes the 68th “Caudillo de España”, or Leader of Spain.
- 1941World War II: Allied forces begin the Battle of Keren to capture Keren, Eritrea.
- 1945World War II: General Douglas MacArthur returns to Manila.
- 1946The Chondoist Chongu Party is founded in North Korea.
Curious about this Ocean Blue Buttercream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!