The following events took place on February 7. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 40 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 457Leo I the Thracian becomes emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1074Pandulf IV of Benevento is killed battling the invading Normans at the Battle of Montesarchio.
- 1301Edward of Caernarvon (later King Edward II of England) becomes the first English Prince of Wales.
- 1497The Bonfire of the Vanities occurs in which supporters of Girolamo Savonarola burn thousands of objects like cosmetics, art, and books in Florence, Italy.
- 1783American Revolutionary War: French and Spanish forces lift the Great Siege of Gibraltar.
- 1795The 11th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified.
- 1807Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Eylau – Napoleon’s French Empire begins fighting against Russian and Prussian forces of the Fourth Coalition at Eylau, Poland.
- 1812The strongest in a series of earthquakes strikes New Madrid, Missouri.
- 1813Action of 7 February 1813: stalemate two evenly matched frigates from the French Navy and the British Royal Navy, Aréthuse and HMS Amelia.
- 1819Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles leaves Singapore after just taking it over, leaving it in the hands of William Farquhar.
- 1842Battle of Debre Tabor: Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien.
- 1856The colonial Tasmanian Parliament passes the second piece of legislation (the Electoral Act of 1856) anywhere in the world providing for elections by way of a secret ballot.
- 1863HMS Orpheus sinks off the coast of Auckland, New Zealand, killing 189.
- 1894The Cripple Creek miner’s strike, led by the Western Federation of Miners, begins in Cripple Creek, Colorado.
- 1897Greco-Turkish War: The first full-scale battle takes place when the Greek expeditionary force in Crete defeats a 4,000-strong Ottoman force at Livadeia.
- 1898Dreyfus affair: Émile Zola is brought to trial for libel for publishing J'accuse.
- 1900Second Boer War: British troops fail in their third attempt to lift the Siege of Ladysmith.
- 1904A fire in Baltimore, Maryland destroys over 1,500 buildings in 30 hours.
- 1907The Mud March is the first large procession organized by the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies (NUWSS).
- 1935The classic board game Monopoly is invented.
- 1940The second full-length animated Walt Disney film, Pinocchio, premieres.
- 1943World War II: Imperial Japanese Navy forces complete the evacuation of Imperial Japanese Army troops from Guadalcanal during Operation Ke, ending Japanese attempts to retake the island from Allied forces in the Guadalcanal Campaign.
- 1944World War II: In Anzio, Italy, German forces launch a counteroffensive during the Allied Operation Shingle.
- 1951Korean War: 705 suspected communist sympathizers are butchered by South Korean forces.
- 1962The United States bans all Cuban imports and exports.
- 1964The Beatles first arrive in the United States. Their performance on The Ed Sullivan Show two days later would mark the beginning of the British Invasion.
- 1974Grenada gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1979Pluto moves inside Neptune’s orbit for the first time since either was discovered.
- 1984Space Shuttle program: STS-41-B Mission – Astronauts Bruce McCandless II and Robert L. Stewart make the first untethered space walk using the Manned Maneuvering Unit (MMU).
- 1986Twenty-eight years of one-family rule end in Haiti, when President Jean-Claude Duvalier flees the Caribbean nation.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!