The following events took place on February 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1555Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake.
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1654The Capture of Fort Rocher takes place during the Anglo-Spanish War.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1825After no candidate receives a majority of electoral votes in the US presidential election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams as President of the United States.
- 1849New Roman Republic established
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1870US president Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
- 1889US president Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1900The Davis Cup competition is established.
- 1904Russo-Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1920Under the terms of the Svalbard Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1942Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- 1943World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1950Second Red Scare: US Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being filled with Communists.
- 1951Korean War: Geochang massacre
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers across the USA.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States troops with a combat mission, a Marine Corps Hawk air defense missile battalion, are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1969First test flight of the Boeing 747.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)