The following events took place on February 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 474Zeno crowned as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1555Bishop of Gloucester John Hooper is burned at the stake.
- 1621Gregory XV becomes Pope, the last Pope elected by acclamation.
- 1654The Capture of Fort Rocher takes place during the Anglo-Spanish War.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
- 1788The Habsburg Empire joins the Russo-Turkish War in the Russian camp.
- 1825After no candidate receives a majority of electoral votes in the US presidential election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams as President of the United States.
- 1849New Roman Republic established
- 1861American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
- 1870US president Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
- 1889US president Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
- 1895William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
- 1900The Davis Cup competition is established.
- 1904Russo-Japanese War: Battle of Port Arthur concludes.
- 1913A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
- 1920Under the terms of the Svalbard Treaty, international diplomacy recognizes Norwegian sovereignty over Arctic archipelago Svalbard, and designates it as demilitarized.
- 1922Brazil becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1934The Balkan Entente is formed.
- 1942World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
- 1942Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- 1943World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of the Atlantic – HMS Venturer sinks U-864 off the coast of Fedje, Norway, in a rare instance of submarine-to-submarine combat.
- 1945World War II: A force of Allied aircraft unsuccessfully attacked a German destroyer in Førdefjorden, Norway.
- 1950Second Red Scare: US Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being filled with Communists.
- 1951Korean War: Geochang massacre
- 1959The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
- 1964The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a “record-busting” audience of 73 million viewers across the USA.
- 1965Vietnam War: The first United States troops with a combat mission, a Marine Corps Hawk air defense missile battalion, are sent to South Vietnam.
- 1969First test flight of the Boeing 747.
- 1971The Sylmar earthquake hits the San Fernando Valley area of California.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!