The following events took place on January 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 49 BCJulius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signaling the start of civil war.
- 9The Western Han dynasty ends when Wang Mang claims that the divine Mandate of Heaven called for the end of the dynasty and the beginning of his own, the Xin dynasty.
- 69Lucius Calpurnius Piso Licinianus is appointed by Galba as deputy Roman Emperor.
- 236Pope Fabian succeeds Anterus to become the twentieth pope of Rome.
- 1072Robert Guiscard conquers Palermo.
- 1475Stephen III of Moldavia defeats the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vaslui.
- 1645Archbishop William Laud is beheaded at the Tower of London.
- 1776Thomas Paine publishes his pamphlet Common Sense.
- 1791The Siege of Dunlap’s Station begins near Cincinnati during the Northwest Indian War.
- 1806Dutch settlers in Cape Town surrender to the British.
- 1810Napoleon Bonaparte divorces his first wife Joséphine.
- 1861American Civil War: Florida secedes from the Union.
- 1863The London Underground, the world’s oldest underground railway, opens between London Paddington station and Farringdon station.
- 1870John D. Rockefeller incorporates Standard Oil.
- 1901The first great Texas oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
- 1916World War I: In the Erzurum Offensive, Russia defeats the Ottoman Empire.
- 1920The Treaty of Versailles takes effect, officially ending World War I.
- 1922Arthur Griffith is elected President of the Dáil Éireann.
- 1923Lithuania seizes and annexes Memel.
- 1927Fritz Lang’s futuristic film Metropolis is released in Germany.
- 1929The Adventures of Tintin, one of the most popular European comic books, is first published in Belgium.
- 1941World War II: The Greek army captures Kleisoura.
- 1946The first General Assembly of the United Nations opens in London. Fifty-one nations are represented.
- 1946The United States Army Signal Corps successfully conducts Project Diana, bouncing radio waves off the Moon and receiving the reflected signals.
- 1954BOAC Flight 781, a de Havilland DH.106 Comet 1, explodes and falls into the Tyrrhenian Sea killing 35 people.
- 1962Apollo program: NASA announces plans to build the C-5 rocket launch vehicle. It became better known as the Saturn V Moon rocket, which launched every Apollo Moon mission.
- 1971A by-poll is held in the Lebanese Chouf District.
- 1972Sheikh Mujibur Rahman returns to the newly independent Bangladesh as president after spending over nine months in prison in Pakistan.
- 1981Salvadoran Civil War: The FMLN launches its first major offensive, gaining control of most of Morazán and Chalatenango departments
- 1984Holy See–United States relations: The United States and Holy See (Vatican City) re-establish full diplomatic relations after almost 117 years, overturning the United States Congress’s 1867 ban on public funding for such a diplomatic envoy.
Curious about this Tamarind Butter Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!