The following events took place on January 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople: A quarrel between supporters of different chariot teams—the Blues and the Greens—in the Hippodrome escalates into violence.
- 1055Theodora is crowned Empress of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1158Vladislav II becomes King of Bohemia.
- 1569First recorded lottery in England.
- 1571Austrian nobility is granted freedom of religion.
- 1693A powerful earthquake destroys parts of Sicily and Malta.
- 1759In Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the first American life insurance company is incorporated.
- 1779Ching-Thang Khomba is crowned King of Manipur.
- 1782American Revolutionary War: French troops begin a siege of a British garrison on Brimstone Hill in Saint Kitts.
- 1787William Herschel discovers Titania and Oberon, two moons of Uranus.
- 1805The Michigan Territory is created.
- 1861Alabama secedes from the United States.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Arkansas Post – General John McClernand and Admiral David Dixon Porter capture the Arkansas River for the Union.
- 1863American Civil War: CSS Alabama encounters and sinks the USS Hatteras off Galveston Lighthouse in Texas.
- 1866SS London, an English steamship which sank in the Bay of Biscay
- 1879The Anglo-Zulu War begins.
- 1908Grand Canyon National Monument is created.
- 1912Immigrant textile works in Lawrence, Massachusetts, go on strike when wages are reduced in response to a mandated shortening of the work week.
- 1917The Kingsland munitions factory explosion occurs as a result of sabotage.
- 1919Romania reincorporates Transylvania.
- 1922First use of insulin to treat diabetes in a human patient.
- 1923Occupation of the Ruhr: Troops from France and Belgium occupy the Ruhr area to force Germany to make its World War I reparation payments.
- 1927Louis B. Mayer, head of film studio Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), announces the creation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, at a banquet in Los Angeles, California.
- 1935Amelia Earhart becomes the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to California.
- 1942World War II: The Japanese capture Kuala Lumpur.
- 1943World War II: The United States and United Kingdom give up territorial rights in China.
- 1943Italian-American anarchist Carlo Tresca is assassinated in New York City.
- 1945Greek Civil War: Last day of the Dekemvriana clashes in Athens, Greece.
- 1946Enver Hoxha, Secretary General of the Communist Party of Albania, declares the People’s Republic of Albania with himself as head of state.
- 1949The first “networked” television broadcasts take place as KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania goes on the air connecting the east coast and mid-west programming.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)