The following events took place on January 11. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 31 - 44.
- 1949A record-setting snowstorm hits Los Angeles, California.
- 1957The African Convention is founded in Dakar, Senegal.
- 1960Henry Lee Lucas, once listed as America’s most prolific serial killer, commits his first known murder.
- 1962Cold War: While tied to its pier in Polyarny, the Soviet submarine B-37 is destroyed when fire breaks out in its torpedo compartment.
- 1962An avalanche on Huascarán in Peru causes 4,000 deaths.
- 1964Surgeon General of the United States Dr. Luther Terry, M.D., publishes the landmark report Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the United States saying that smoking may be hazardous to health, sparking national and worldwide anti-smoking efforts.
- 1972East Pakistan renames itself Bangladesh.
- 1973Major League Baseball owners vote in approval of the American League adopting the designated hitter position.
- 1986The Gateway Bridge, Brisbane in Queensland, Australia is officially opened.
- 1994The Irish Government announces the end of a 15-year broadcasting ban on the IRA and its political arm Sinn Féin.
- 1996Space Shuttle program: STS-72 launches from the Kennedy Space Center marking the start of the 74th Space Shuttle mission and the 10th flight of Endeavour.
- 1998Over 100 people are killed in the Sidi-Hamed massacre in Algeria.
- 2003Illinois Governor George Ryan commutes the death sentences of 167 prisoners on Illinois’ death row based on the Jon Burge scandal.
- 2013One French soldier and 17 militants are killed in a failed attempt to free a French hostage in Bulo Marer, Somalia.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)