The following events took place on January 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1528Gustav I of Sweden is crowned king.
- 1554Bayinnaung, who would go on to assemble the largest empire in the history of Southeast Asia, is crowned King of Burma.
- 1616The city of Belém is founded in Pará, Brazil by Francisco Caldeira Castelo Branco.
- 1777Mission Santa Clara de Asís is founded in what is now Santa Clara, California.
- 1808The organizational meeting that led to the creation of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1808John Rennie’s scheme to defend St Mary’s Church, Reculver, founded in 669, from coastal erosion was abandoned in favour of demolition, despite the church being an exemplar of Anglo-Saxon architecture and sculpture.
- 1848The Palermo rising takes place in Sicily against the Bourbon Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.
- 1866The Royal Aeronautical Society is formed in London.
- 1872Yohannes IV is crowned Emperor of Ethiopia in Axum, the first imperial coronation in that city in over 200 years.
- 1895The National Trust is founded in the United Kingdom.
- 1898Itō Hirobumi begins his third term as Prime Minister of Japan.
- 1899Thirteen crew members and five apprentices are rescued from the stricken schooner Forest Hall by the Lynmouth Lifeboat when the former founders off the coast of Devon.
- 1902Uddevalla Suffrage Association is formally dissolved.
- 1906Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman’s cabinet (which included amongst its members H. H. Asquith, David Lloyd George, and Winston Churchill) embarks on sweeping social reforms after a Liberal landslide in the British general election.
- 1908A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time.
- 1911The University of the Philippines College of Law is formally established; three future Philippine presidents are among the first enrollees.
- 1915The United States House of Representatives rejects a proposal to give women the right to vote.
- 1916Both Oswald Boelcke and Max Immelmann, for achieving eight aerial victories each over Allied aircraft, receive the German Empire’s highest military award, the Pour le Mérite as the first German aviators to earn it.
- 1918Finland’s “Mosaic Confessors” law goes into effect, making Finnish Jews full citizens.
- 1921Acting to restore confidence in baseball after the Black Sox Scandal, Judge Kenesaw Mountain Landis is elected as Major League Baseball’s first commissioner.
- 1926Original Sam ‘n’Henry aired on Chicago radio later renamed Amos ‘n’Andy in 1928.
- 1932Hattie Caraway becomes the first woman elected to the United States Senate.
- 1942World War II: United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt creates the National War Labor Board.
- 1959The Caves of Nerja are rediscovered in Spain.
- 1962Vietnam War: Operation Chopper, the first American combat mission in the war, takes place.
- 1964Rebels in Zanzibar begin a revolt known as the Zanzibar Revolution and proclaim a republic.
- 1966Lyndon B. Johnson states that the United States should stay in South Vietnam until Communist aggression there is ended.
- 1967Dr. James Bedford becomes the first person to be cryonically preserved with intent of future resuscitation.
- 1969The New York Jets of the American Football League defeat the Baltimore Colts of the National Football League to win Super Bowl III in what is considered to be one of the greatest upsets in sports history.
- 1970Biafra capitulates, ending the Nigerian Civil War.
Curious about this Dark Chocolate? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!