The following events took place on January 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 53 events. Showing 31 - 53.
- 1953An article appears in Pravda accusing some of the most prestigious and prominent doctors, mostly Jews, in the Soviet Union of taking part in a vast plot to poison members of the top Soviet political and military leadership.
- 1958The Moroccan Army of Liberation ambushes a Spanish patrol in the Battle of Edchera.
- 1960The Gulag system of forced labor camps in the Soviet Union is officially abolished.
- 1963Coup d'état in Togo results in assassination of president Sylvanus Olympio
- 1964Anti-Muslim riots break out in Calcutta, resulting in 100 deaths.
- 1964Karol Wojtyla, the future Pope John Paul II, is appointed archbishop of Kraków, Poland.
- 1966Robert C. Weaver becomes the first African American Cabinet member when he is appointed United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
- 1968Johnny Cash performs live at Folsom State Prison
- 1972Prime Minister Kofi Abrefa Busia and President Edward Akufo-Addo of Ghana are ousted in a bloodless military coup by Colonel Ignatius Kutu Acheampong.
- 1974Seraphim is elected Archbishop of Athens and All Greece.
- 1978United States Food and Drug Administration requires all blood donations to be labeled “paid” or “volunteer” donors.
- 1982Shortly after takeoff, Air Florida Flight 90, a Boeing 737 jet crashes into Washington, D.C.'s 14th Street Bridge and falls into the Potomac River, killing 78 including four motorists.
- 1985A passenger train plunges into a ravine in Ethiopia, killing 428 in the worst railroad disaster in Africa.
- 1986A month-long violent struggle begins in Aden, South Yemen between supporters of Ali Nasir Muhammad and Abdul Fattah Ismail, resulting in thousands of casualties.
- 1988Lee Teng-hui becomes the first native Taiwanese President of the Republic of China.
- 1990a seven-day pogrom breaks out against the Armenian civilian population of Baku, Azerbaijan during which Armenians were beaten, tortured, murdered, and expelled from the city.
- 1990Douglas Wilder becomes the first elected African American governor as he takes office in Richmond, Virginia.
- 1991Soviet Union troops attack Lithuanian independence supporters in Vilnius, killing 14 people and wounding 1000.
- 1993Space Shuttle program: Endeavour heads for space for the third time as STS-54 launches from the Kennedy Space Center.
- 2000Bill Gates resigns as CEO of Microsoft.
- 2001An earthquake hits El Salvador, killing more than 800.
- 2012The passenger cruise ship Costa Concordia sinks off the coast of Italy. There are 32 confirmed deaths amongst the 4232 passengers and crew.
- 2012The opening ceremony of the Winter Youth Olympics takes place in Innsbruck, Austria.
Curious about this Watermelon? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!