The following events took place on January 17. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 38 BCOctavian divorces his wife Scribonia and marries Livia Drusilla, ending the fragile peace between the Second Triumvirate and Sextus Pompey.
- 395Emperor Theodosius I dies in Mediolanum (Milan), the Roman Empire is re-divided into an eastern and a western half. The Eastern Roman Empire is centered in Constantinople under Arcadius, son of Theodosius, and the Western Roman Empire in Mediolanum under Honorius, his brother (aged 10).
- 1287King Alfonso III of Aragon invades Minorca.
- 1377Pope Gregory XI moves the Papacy back to Rome from Avignon.
- 1524Giovanni da Verrazzano sets sail westward from Madeira to find a sea route to the Pacific Ocean.
- 1562France recognizes the Huguenots by the Edict of Saint-Germain.
- 1595Henry IV of France declares war on Spain.
- 1608Emperor Susenyos I of Ethiopia surprises an Oromo army at Ebenat; his army reportedly kills 12,000 Oromo at the cost of 400 of his men.
- 1648England’s Long Parliament passes the “Vote of No Addresses”, breaking off negotiations with King Charles I and thereby setting the scene for the second phase of the English Civil War.
- 1773Captain James Cook and his crew become the first Europeans to sail below the Antarctic Circle.
- 1781American Revolutionary War: Battle of Cowpens – Continental troops under Brigadier General Daniel Morgan defeat British forces under Lieutenant Colonel Banastre Tarleton at the battle in South Carolina.
- 1799Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- 1811Mexican War of Independence: In the Battle of Calderón Bridge, a heavily outnumbered Spanish force of 6,000 troops defeats nearly 100,000 Mexican revolutionaries.
- 1852The United Kingdom recognizes the independence of the Boer colonies of the Transvaal.
- 1873A group of Modoc warriors defeats the United States Army in the First Battle of the Stronghold, part of the Modoc War.
- 1885A British force defeats a large Dervish army at the Battle of Abu Klea in the Sudan.
- 1893Lorrin A. Thurston, along with the Citizens’ Committee of Public Safety led the Overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii and the government of Queen Liliuokalani.
- 1899The United States takes possession of Wake Island in the Pacific Ocean.
- 1903El Yunque National Forest in Puerto Rico becomes part of the United States National Forest System as the Luquillo Forest Reserve.
- 1904Anton Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard receives its premiere performance at the Moscow Art Theatre.
- 1912Captain Robert Falcon Scott reaches the South Pole, one month after Roald Amundsen.
- 1913Raymond Poincaré is elected President of France.
- 1917The United States pays Denmark 25 million for the Virgin Islands.
- 1918Finnish Civil War: The first serious battles take place between the Red Guards and the White Guard.
- 1929Popeye the Sailor Man, a cartoon character created by E. C. Segar, first appears in the Thimble Theatre comic strip.
- 1929Inayatullah Khan, king of the Emirate of Afghanistan abdicates the throne after only three days.
- 1941Franco-Thai War: French forces inflict a decisive defeat over the Royal Thai Navy.
- 1943World War II: Greek submarine Papanikolis captures the 200-ton sailing vessel Agios Stefanos and mans her with part of her crew.
- 1944World War II: Allied forces launch the first of four assaults on Monte Cassino with the intention of breaking through the Winter Line and seizing Rome, an effort that would ultimately take four months and cost 105,000 Allied casualties.
- 1945World War II: Soviet forces capture the almost completely destroyed Polish city of Warsaw.
Curious about this Strawberry Swirl? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!