The following events took place on January 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 350General Magnentius deposes Roman Emperor Constans and proclaims himself Emperor.
- 474Seven-year-old Leo II succeeds his maternal grandfather Leo I as Byzantine emperor. He dies ten months later.
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople fail.
- 1126Emperor Huizong abdicates the Chinese throne in favour of his son Emperor Qinzong.
- 1486King Henry VII of England marries Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV.
- 1535Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro founds Lima, the capital of Peru.
- 1562Pope Pius IV reopens the Council of Trent for its third and final session.
- 1591King Naresuan of Siam kills Crown Prince Mingyi Swa of Burma in single combat, for which this date is now observed as Royal Thai Armed Forces day.
- 1670Henry Morgan captures Panama.
- 1701Frederick I crowns himself King of Prussia in Königsberg.
- 1778James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”.
- 1788The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrive at Botany Bay.
- 1866Wesley College, Melbourne, is established.
- 1871Wilhelm I of Germany is proclaimed the first German Emperor in the Hall of Mirrors of the Palace of Versailles (France) towards the end of the Franco-Prussian War. The empire is known as the Second Reich to Germans.
- 1884Dr. William Price attempts to cremate the body of his infant son, Jesus Christ Price, setting a legal precedent for cremation in the United Kingdom.
- 1886Modern hockey is born with the formation of The Hockey Association in England.
- 1896An X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time by H. L. Smith.
- 1903United States President Theodore Roosevelt sends a radio message to King Edward VII: the first transatlantic radio transmission originating in the United States. Citation needed reason=Plaque at site says 19 Jan; 'sources vary'?
- 1911Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco Bay, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
- 1913First Balkan War: A Greek flotilla defeats the Ottoman Navy in the Naval Battle of Lemnos, securing the islands of the Northern Aegean Sea for Greece.
- 1915Japan issues the “Twenty-One Demands” to the Republic of China in a bid to increase its power in East Asia.
- 1916A 611-gram chondrite type meteorite strikes a house near the village of Baxter in Stone County, Missouri.
- 1919World War I: The Paris Peace Conference opens in Versailles, France.
- 1919Ignacy Jan Paderewski becomes Prime Minister of the newly independent Poland.
- 1919Bentley Motors Limited is founded.
- 1941World War II: British troops launch a general counter-offensive against Italian East Africa.
- 1943Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: The first uprising of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto.
- 1944The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City hosts a jazz concert for the first time. The performers are Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden.
- 1944World War II: Soviet forces liberate Leningrad, effectively ending a three-year Nazi siege, known as the Siege of Leningrad.
- 1945World War II: Liberation of the Budapest Ghetto by the Red Army.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!