The following events took place on January 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 56 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 350General Magnentius deposes Roman Emperor Constans and proclaims himself Emperor.
- 474Seven-year-old Leo II succeeds his maternal grandfather Leo I as Byzantine emperor. He dies ten months later.
- 532Nika riots in Constantinople fail.
- 1126Emperor Huizong abdicates the Chinese throne in favour of his son Emperor Qinzong.
- 1486King Henry VII of England marries Elizabeth of York, daughter of Edward IV.
- 1535Spanish conquistador Francisco Pizarro founds Lima, the capital of Peru.
- 1562Pope Pius IV reopens the Council of Trent for its third and final session.
- 1591King Naresuan of Siam kills Crown Prince Mingyi Swa of Burma in single combat, for which this date is now observed as Royal Thai Armed Forces day.
- 1670Henry Morgan captures Panama.
- 1701Frederick I crowns himself King of Prussia in Königsberg.
- 1778James Cook is the first known European to discover the Hawaiian Islands, which he names the “Sandwich Islands”.
- 1788The first elements of the First Fleet carrying 736 convicts from England to Australia arrive at Botany Bay.
- 1866Wesley College, Melbourne, is established.
- 1871Wilhelm I of Germany is proclaimed the first German Emperor in the Hall of Mirrors of the Palace of Versailles (France) towards the end of the Franco-Prussian War. The empire is known as the Second Reich to Germans.
- 1884Dr. William Price attempts to cremate the body of his infant son, Jesus Christ Price, setting a legal precedent for cremation in the United Kingdom.
- 1886Modern hockey is born with the formation of The Hockey Association in England.
- 1896An X-ray generating machine is exhibited for the first time by H. L. Smith.
- 1903United States President Theodore Roosevelt sends a radio message to King Edward VII: the first transatlantic radio transmission originating in the United States. Citation needed reason=Plaque at site says 19 Jan; 'sources vary'?
- 1911Eugene B. Ely lands on the deck of the USS Pennsylvania stationed in San Francisco Bay, the first time an aircraft landed on a ship.
- 1913First Balkan War: A Greek flotilla defeats the Ottoman Navy in the Naval Battle of Lemnos, securing the islands of the Northern Aegean Sea for Greece.
- 1915Japan issues the “Twenty-One Demands” to the Republic of China in a bid to increase its power in East Asia.
- 1916A 611-gram chondrite type meteorite strikes a house near the village of Baxter in Stone County, Missouri.
- 1919World War I: The Paris Peace Conference opens in Versailles, France.
- 1919Ignacy Jan Paderewski becomes Prime Minister of the newly independent Poland.
- 1919Bentley Motors Limited is founded.
- 1941World War II: British troops launch a general counter-offensive against Italian East Africa.
- 1943Warsaw Ghetto Uprising: The first uprising of Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto.
- 1944The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City hosts a jazz concert for the first time. The performers are Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden.
- 1944World War II: Soviet forces liberate Leningrad, effectively ending a three-year Nazi siege, known as the Siege of Leningrad.
- 1945World War II: Liberation of the Budapest Ghetto by the Red Army.
Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GZBWIAKAYE? Check your answers here: Word scramble GZBWIAKAYE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)