The following events took place on January 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 31 - 41.
- 1981Twenty minutes after Ronald Reagan is inaugurated, Iran releases 52 American hostages.
- 1986In the United States, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is celebrated as a federal holiday for the first time.
- 1987Church of England envoy Terry Waite is kidnapped in Lebanon.
- 1990The Red Army crackdown on civil protests in Baku, Azerbaijan during the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Also known as Black January.
- 1991Sudan’s government imposes Islamic law nationwide, worsening the civil war between the country’s Muslim north and Christian south.
- 1992Air Inter Flight 148, an Airbus A320-111, crashes into a mountain near Strasbourg, France killing 87 of the 96 people on board. A design flaw in the computer mode selection system resulted in the crew selecting the wrong rate of descent.
- 1999The China News Service announces new government restrictions on Internet use, aimed especially at Internet cafés.
- 2001President of the Philippines Joseph Estrada is ousted in a nonviolent 4-day revolution, and is succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- 2006Witnesses report seeing a bottlenose whale swimming in the River Thames, the first time the species had been seen in the Thames since records began in 1913.
- 2007A three-man team, using only skis and kites, completes a 1093 mi trek to reach the southern pole of inaccessibility for the first time since 1958 and for the first time ever without mechanical assistance.
- 2009A protest movement in Iceland culminates as the 2009 Icelandic financial crisis protests start.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)