The following events took place on January 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 41Roman Emperor Caligula, known for his eccentricity and sadistic despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. The Guard then proclaims Caligula’s uncle Claudius as Emperor
- 1438The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV.
- 1458Matthias Corvinus becomes king of Hungary.
- 1624Afonso Mendes, appointed by Pope Gregory XV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1679King Charles II of England dissolves the Cavalier Parliament.
- 1739Peshva warrior Chimnaji Appa defeats Portuguese forces and captures Tarapur Fort, India.
- 1742Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1758During the Seven Years’ War the leading burghers of Königsberg submit to Elizabeth of Russia, thus forming Russian Prussia (until 1763)
- 1817Crossing of the Andes: Many soldiers of Juan Gregorio de las Heras are captured during the Action of Picheuta.
- 1835Slaves in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, stage a revolt, which is instrumental in ending slavery there 50 years later.
- 1848California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill near Sacramento.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully fledged university in South Asia.
- 1859Political and state union of Moldavia and Wallachia; Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected as Domnitor in both Principalities.
- 1862Bucharest is proclaimed the capital of Romania.
- 1878The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 1900Second Boer War: Boers stop a British attempt to break the Siege of Ladysmith in the Battle of Spion Kop.
- 1908The first Boy Scout troop is organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.
- 1911Japanese anarchist Shūsui Kōtoku is hanged for treason in a case now considered a miscarriage of justice.
- 1915World War One: British Grand Fleet battle cruisers under Vice-Admiral Sir David Beatty engage Rear-Admiral Franz von Hipper’s battle cruisers in the Battle of Dogger Bank.
- 1916In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
- 1918The Gregorian calendar is introduced in Russia by decree of the Council of People’s Commissars effective February 14(NS)
- 1933The 20th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, changing the beginning and end of terms for all elected federal offices.
- 1939The deadliest earthquake in Chilean history strikes Chillán, killing approximately 28,000 people.
- 1942World War II: The Allies bombard Bangkok, leading Thailand, then under Japanese control, to declare war against the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1943World War II: Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill conclude a conference in Casablanca.
- 1946The United Nations General Assembly passes its first resolution to establish the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1947Greek banker Dimitrios Maximos becomes Prime Minister of Greece.
- 1960Algerian War: Some units of European volunteers in Algiers stage an insurrection known as the “barricades week”, during which they seize government buildings and clash with local police.
- 1961Goldsboro B-52 crash: A bomber carrying two H-bombs breaks up in mid-air over North Carolina. The uranium core of one weapon remains lost.
- 1968Vietnam War: The 1st Australian Task Force launches Operation Coburg against the North Vietnamese Army and Viet Cong during wider fighting around Long Bình and Biên Hòa
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)