The following events took place on January 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 41Roman Emperor Caligula, known for his eccentricity and sadistic despotism, is assassinated by his disgruntled Praetorian Guards. The Guard then proclaims Caligula’s uncle Claudius as Emperor
- 1438The Council of Basel suspends Pope Eugene IV.
- 1458Matthias Corvinus becomes king of Hungary.
- 1624Afonso Mendes, appointed by Pope Gregory XV as Prelate of Ethiopia, arrives at Massawa from Goa.
- 1679King Charles II of England dissolves the Cavalier Parliament.
- 1739Peshva warrior Chimnaji Appa defeats Portuguese forces and captures Tarapur Fort, India.
- 1742Charles VII Albert becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1758During the Seven Years’ War the leading burghers of Königsberg submit to Elizabeth of Russia, thus forming Russian Prussia (until 1763)
- 1817Crossing of the Andes: Many soldiers of Juan Gregorio de las Heras are captured during the Action of Picheuta.
- 1835Slaves in Salvador da Bahia, Brazil, stage a revolt, which is instrumental in ending slavery there 50 years later.
- 1848California Gold Rush: James W. Marshall finds gold at Sutter’s Mill near Sacramento.
- 1857The University of Calcutta is formally founded as the first fully fledged university in South Asia.
- 1859Political and state union of Moldavia and Wallachia; Alexandru Ioan Cuza is elected as Domnitor in both Principalities.
- 1862Bucharest is proclaimed the capital of Romania.
- 1878The revolutionary Vera Zasulich shoots at Fyodor Trepov, the Governor of Saint Petersburg.
- 1900Second Boer War: Boers stop a British attempt to break the Siege of Ladysmith in the Battle of Spion Kop.
- 1908The first Boy Scout troop is organized in England by Robert Baden-Powell.
- 1911Japanese anarchist Shūsui Kōtoku is hanged for treason in a case now considered a miscarriage of justice.
- 1915World War One: British Grand Fleet battle cruisers under Vice-Admiral Sir David Beatty engage Rear-Admiral Franz von Hipper’s battle cruisers in the Battle of Dogger Bank.
- 1916In Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., the Supreme Court of the United States declares the federal income tax constitutional.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)