The following events took place on January 28. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 31 - 54.
- 1934The first ski tow in the United States begins operation in Vermont.
- 1935Iceland becomes the first Western country to legalize therapeutic abortion.
- 1938The World Land Speed Record on a public road is broken by Rudolf Caracciola in the Mercedes-Benz W195 at a speed of 432.7 km/h.
- 1941Franco-Thai War: Final air battle of the conflict. A Japanese-mediated armistice goes into effect later in the day.
- 1945World War II: Supplies begin to reach the Republic of China over the newly reopened Burma Road.
- 1956Elvis Presley makes his first US television appearance
- 1958The Lego company patents the design of its Lego bricks, still compatible with bricks produced today.
- 1958The last episode of the British radio comedy programme The Goon Show is broadcast.
- 1960The National Football League announced expansion teams for Dallas to start in the 1960 NFL season and Minneapolis-St. Paul for 1961 NFL season.
- 1964An unarmed United States Air Force T-39 Sabreliner on a training mission is shot down over Erfurt, East Germany, by a Soviet MiG-19.
- 1965The current design of the Flag of Canada is chosen by an act of Parliament.
- 1977The first day of the Great Lakes Blizzard of 1977 which dumps 10 ft of snow in one-day in Upstate New York, with Buffalo, Syracuse, Watertown, and surrounding areas most affected.
- 1979CBS News Sunday Morning debuts with original host and cocreator Charles Kuralt.
- 1979Pope John Paul II starts his first pastoral visit to Mexico.
- 1980USCGC Blackthorn collides with the tanker Capricorn while leaving Tampa, Florida and capsizes, killing 23 Coast Guard crewmembers.
- 1981Ronald Reagan lifts remaining domestic petroleum price and allocation controls in the United States helping to end the 1979 energy crisis and begin the 1980s oil glut.
- 1982US Army general James L. Dozier is rescued by Italian anti-terrorism forces from captivity by the Red Brigades.
- 1984Tropical Storm Domoina makes landfall in southern Mozambique, eventually causing 214 deaths and some of the most severe flooding so far recorded in the region.
- 1985Supergroup USA for Africa (United Support of Artists for Africa) records the hit single We Are the World, to help raise funds for Ethiopian famine relief.
- 1986Space Shuttle program: STS-51-L mission – Space Shuttle Challenger explodes after liftoff, killing all seven astronauts on board.
- 1988In R v Morgentaler the Supreme Court of Canada strikes down all anti-abortion laws, effectively allowing abortions in Canada in all 9 months of pregnancy.
- 2002TAME Flight 120, a Boeing 727-100 crashes in the Andes mountains in southern Colombia, killing 92.
- 2006The roof of one of the buildings at the Katowice International Fair in Chorzów/Katowice, Poland, collapses due to the weight of snow, killing 65 and injuring more than 170 others.
- 2010Five murderers of President Sheikh Mujibur Rahman of Bangladesh are hung.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)