The following events took place on January 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 42 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 757An Lushan, leader of a revolt against the Tang dynasty and emperor of Yan, is murdered by his own son, An Qingxu.
- 904Sergius III comes out of retirement to take over the papacy from the deposed antipope Christopher.
- 1258First Mongol invasion of Đại Việt: Đại Việt defeats the Mongols at the battle of Đông Bộ Đầu, forcing the Mongols to withdraw from the country.
- 1676Feodor III becomes Tsar of Russia.
- 1814War of the Sixth Coalition: France defeats Russia and Prussia in the Battle of Brienne.
- 1819Stamford Raffles lands on the island of Singapore.
- 1834US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
- 1845“The Raven” is published in The Evening Mirror in New York, the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1850Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress.
- 1856Queen Victoria issues a Warrant under the Royal sign-manual that establishes the Victoria Cross to recognise acts of valour by British military personnel during the Crimean War.
- 1861Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1863The Bear River Massacre: A detachment of California Volunteers led by Colonel Patrick Edward Connor engage the Shoshone at Bear River, Washington Territory, killing hundreds of men women and children.
- 1886Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1891Liliuokalani is proclaimed the last monarch and only queen regnant of the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- 1900The American League is organized in Philadelphia with eight founding teams.
- 1907Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1916World War I: Paris is first bombed by German zeppelins.
- 1918Ukrainian–Soviet War: The Bolshevik Red Army, on its way to besiege Kiev, is met by a small group of military students at the Battle of Kruty.
- 1918Ukrainian–Soviet War: An armed uprising organized by the Bolsheviks in anticipation of the encroaching Red Army begins at the Kiev Arsenal, which will be put down six days later.
- 1936The first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1940Three trains on the Sakurajima Line, in Osaka, Japan, collide and explode while approaching Ajikawaguchi Station. One hundred eighty-one people are killed.
- 1941Alexandros Koryzis becomes Prime Minister of Greece upon the sudden death of his predecessor, dictator Ioannis Metaxas.
- 1943The first day of the Battle of Rennell Island, U.S. cruiser Chicago is torpedoed and heavily damaged by Japanese bombers.
- 1944World War II: Approximately 38 people are killed and about a dozen injured when the Polish village of Koniuchy (present-day Kaniūkai, Lithuania) is attacked by Soviet partisan units.
- 1944In Bologna, Italy, the Anatomical theatre of the Archiginnasio is destroyed in an air-raid.
- 1948The Pakistan Socialist Party is founded in Karachi.
- 1963The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1967The “ultimate high” of the hippie era, the Mantra-Rock Dance, takes place in San Francisco and features Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, and Allen Ginsberg.
- 1989Hungary establishes diplomatic relations with South Korea, making it the first Eastern Bloc nation to do so.
- 1991Gulf War: The Battle of Khafji, the first major ground engagement of the war, as well as its deadliest, begins.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!