The following events took place on January 3. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1521Pope Leo X excommunicates Martin Luther in the papal bull Decet Romanum Pontificem.
- 1653By the Coonan Cross Oath, the Eastern Church in India cuts itself off from colonial Portuguese tutelage.
- 1749Benning Wentworth issues the first of the New Hampshire Grants, leading to the establishment of Vermont.
- 1749The first issue of Berlingske, Denmark’s oldest continually operating newspaper, is published.
- 1777American General George Washington defeats British General Lord Cornwallis at the Battle of Princeton.
- 1815Austria, the United Kingdom, and France form a secret defensive alliance against Prussia and Russia.
- 1823Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
- 1848Joseph Jenkins Roberts is sworn in as the first president of the independent African Liberia.
- 1861American Civil War: Delaware votes not to secede from the United States.
- 1868Meiji Restoration in Japan: The Tokugawa shogunate is abolished; agents of Satsuma and Chōshū seize power.
- 1870Construction of the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
- 1885Sino-French War: Beginning of the Battle of Núi Bop
- 1888The refracting telescope at the Lick Observatory, measuring 91 cm in diameter, is used for the first time. It was the largest telescope in the world at the time.
- 1911A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan.
- 1919At the Paris Peace Conference, Emir Faisal I of Iraq signs an agreement with Zionist leader Chaim Weizmann on the development of a Jewish homeland in Palestine and an Arab nation in a large part of the Middle East.
- 1925Benito Mussolini announces he is taking dictatorial powers over Italy.
- 1932Martial law is declared in Honduras to stop a revolt by banana workers fired by the United Fruit Company.
- 1933Minnie D. Craig becomes the first female elected as Speaker of the North Dakota House of Representatives, the first female to hold a Speaker position anywhere in the United States.
- 1938The March of Dimes is established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1944World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Vought F4U Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Mitsubishi A6M Zero.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)