The following events took place on January 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 52 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1018Poland and the Holy Roman Empire conclude the Peace of Bautzen.
- 1607An estimated 200 square miles (51,800 ha) along the coasts of the Bristol Channel and Severn Estuary in England are destroyed by massive flooding, resulting in an estimated 2,000 deaths.
- 1648Eighty Years’ War: The Treaty of Münster and Osnabrück is signed, ending the conflict between the Netherlands and Spain.
- 1649King Charles I of England is beheaded.
- 1661Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England is ritually executed more than two years after his death, on the 12th anniversary of the execution of the monarch he himself deposed.
- 1667The Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth cedes Kiev, Smolensk, and left-bank Ukraine to the Tsardom of Russia in the Treaty of Andrusovo.
- 1703The Forty-seven Ronin, under the command of Ōishi Kuranosuke, avenge the death of their master.
- 1789Tây Sơn forces emerge victorious against Qing armies and liberate the capital Thăng Long.
- 1790The first boat specializing as a lifeboat is tested on the River Tyne.
- 1806The original Lower Trenton Bridge (also called the Trenton Makes the World Takes Bridge), which spans the Delaware River between Morrisville, Pennsylvania and Trenton, New Jersey, is opened.
- 1820Edward Bransfield sights the Trinity Peninsula and claims the discovery of Antarctica.
- 1826The Menai Suspension Bridge, considered the world’s first modern suspension bridge, connecting the Isle of Anglesey to the north West coast of Wales, is opened.
- 1835In the first assassination attempt against a President of the United States, Richard Lawrence attempts to shoot president Andrew Jackson, but fails and is subdued by a crowd, including several congressmen as well as Jackson himself.
- 1841A fire destroys two-thirds of Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
- 1847Yerba Buena, California is renamed San Francisco.
- 1858The first Hallé concert is given in Manchester, England, marking the official founding of The Hallé orchestra as a full-time, professional orchestra.
- 1862The first American ironclad warship, the USS Monitor is launched.
- 1889Archduke Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria, heir to the Austro-Hungarian crown, is found dead with his mistress Baroness Mary Vetsera in the Mayerling.
- 1902The first Anglo-Japanese Alliance is signed in London.
- 1908Indian pacifist and leader Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi is released from prison by Jan C. Smuts after being tried and sentenced to two months in jail earlier in the month.
- 1911The destroyer USS Terry makes the first airplane rescue at sea saving the life of Douglas McCurdy ten miles from Havana, Cuba.
- 1911The Canadian Naval Service becomes the Royal Canadian Navy.
- 1913The British House of Lords rejects the Irish Home Rule Bill.
- 1925The Government of Turkey throws Patriarch Constantine VI out of Istanbul.
- 1933Adolf Hitler is sworn in as Chancellor of Germany.
- 1942World War II: Japanese forces invade the island of Ambon in the Dutch East Indies.
- 1943World War II: Second day of the Battle of Rennell Island. The USS Chicago is sunk and a U.S. destroyer is heavily damaged by Japanese torpedoes.
- 1944World War II: The Battle of Cisterna, part of Operation Shingle, begins in central Italy.
- 1944World War II: American troops land on Majuro, Marshall Islands.
- 1945World War II: The Wilhelm Gustloff, overfilled with German refugees, sinks in the Baltic Sea after being torpedoed by a Soviet submarine, killing approximately 9,500 people in what is the deadliest known maritime disaster.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kirsten’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)