The following events took place on January 4. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 46 BCEJulius Caesar defeats Titus Labienus in the Battle of Ruspina.
- 871Battle of Reading: Æthelred of Wessex fights, and is defeated by, a Danish invasion army.
- 1490Anne of Brittany announces that all those who would ally with the King of France will be considered guilty of the crime of lèse-majesté.
- 1642King Charles I of England sends soldiers to arrest members of Parliament, commencing England’s slide into civil war.
- 1649English Civil War: The Rump Parliament votes to put Charles I on trial.
- 1717The Netherlands, Great Britain, and France sign the Triple Alliance.
- 1762Great Britain declares war on Spain and Naples.
- 1798Constantine Hangerli arrives in Bucharest, Wallachia, as its new Prince, invested by the Ottoman Empire.
- 1847Samuel Colt sells his first revolver pistol to the United States government.
- 1853After having been kidnapped and sold into slavery in the American South, Solomon Northrup regains his freedom; his memoir 12 Years a Slave later becomes a national bestseller.
- 1854The McDonald Islands are discovered by Captain William McDonald aboard the Samarang.
- 1863The New Apostolic Church, a Christian and chiliastic church, is established in Hamburg, Germany.
- 1865The New York Stock Exchange opens its first permanent headquarters at 10-12 Broad near Wall Street in New York City.
- 1878Sofia is emancipated from Ottoman rule.
- 1884The Fabian Society is founded in London, England, United Kingdom.
- 1889The Oklahoma Land Run opens 2 million acres of unused Oklahoma Territory to first serve first come settlers on April 22.
- 1896Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state.
- 1903Topsy, an elephant, is electrocuted by the owners of Luna Park, Coney Island. Thomas Edison’s movie company shoots the film Electrocuting an Elephant of the execution.
- 1912The Scout Association is incorporated throughout the British Empire by royal charter.
- 1944World War II: Operation Carpetbagger, involving the dropping of arms and supplies to resistance fighters in Europe, begins.
- 1948Burma gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- 1951Korean War: Chinese and North Korean forces capture Seoul.
- 1955The Greek National Radical Union is formed by Konstantinos Karamanlis.
- 1958Sputnik 1 falls to Earth from orbit.
- 1959Luna 1 becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- 1965United States President Lyndon B. Johnson proclaims his “Great Society” during his State of the Union address.
- 1966A military coup takes place in Upper Volta (later Burkina Faso), dissolving the National Parliament and leading to a new national constitution.
- 1970A magnitude 7.7 earthquake strikes Tonghai County, China, killing at least 15,000 people.
- 1972Rose Heilbron becomes the first female judge to sit at the Old Bailey in London, England.
- 1974United States President Richard Nixon refuses to hand over materials subpoenaed by the Senate Watergate Committee.
Curious about this White Rabbit Biscuit? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!