The following events took place on January 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 48 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1066Harold Godwinson (or Harold II) is crowned King of England.
- 1118Reconquista: Alfonso the Battler conquers Zaragoza.
- 1205Philip of Swabia becomes King of the Romans.
- 1322Stephen Uroš III is crowned King of Serbia.
- 1355Charles I of Bohemia is crowned with the Iron Crown of Lombardy as King of Italy in Milan.
- 1449Constantine XI is crowned Byzantine Emperor at Mystras.
- 1492The Catholic Monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella enter Granada, completing the Reconquista.
- 1540King Henry VIII of England marries Anne of Cleves.
- 1579The Union of Arras is signed.
- 1661English Restoration: The Fifth Monarchists unsuccessfully attempt to seize control of London, England.
- 1690Joseph, son of Emperor Leopold I, becomes King of the Romans.
- 1721The Committee of Inquiry on the South Sea Bubble publishes its findings.
- 1781In the Battle of Jersey, the British defeat the last attempt by France to invade Jersey.
- 1809Combined British, Portuguese and colonial Brazilian forces begin the Invasion of Cayenne during the Napoleonic Wars.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1839The most damaging storm in 300 years sweeps across Ireland, damaging or destroying more than 20% of the houses in Dublin.
- 1853President-elect of the United States Franklin Pierce and his family are involved in a train wreck near Andover, Massachusetts. Pierce’s 11-year-old son Benjamin is killed in the crash.
- 1870The inauguration of the Musikverein in Vienna, Austria.
- 1893The Washington National Cathedral is chartered by Congress. The charter is signed by President Benjamin Harrison.
- 1900Second Boer War: Having already sieged the fortress at Ladysmith, Boer forces attack it, but are driven back by British defenders.
- 1907Maria Montessori opens her first school and daycare center for working class children in Rome, Italy.
- 1912New Mexico is admitted to the Union as the 47th U.S. state.
- 1912German geophysicist Alfred Wegener first presents his theory of continental drift.
- 1921Formation of the Iraqi Army.
- 1929King Alexander of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes suspends his country’s constitution (the January 6th Dictatorship).
- 1929Mother Teresa arrives in Calcutta, India, to begin her work among India’s poorest and sick people.
- 1930The first diesel-engined automobile trip is completed, from Indianapolis, Indiana, to New York, New York.
- 1931Thomas Edison submits his last patent application.
- 1941United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivers his Four Freedoms speech in the State of the Union address.
- 1946The first general election ever in Vietnam is held.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)