The following events took place on January 7. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1131Canute Lavard was murdered at Haraldsted, Denmark by his cousin Magnus, which led to the civil war in Denmark (1131–34).
- 1325Alfonso IV becomes King of Portugal.
- 1558France takes Calais, the last continental possession of England.
- 1566Pope Pius V is elected.
- 1608Fire destroys Jamestown, Virginia.
- 1610Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede, Callisto, Io and Europa, although he is not able to distinguish the last two until the following day.
- 1782The first American commercial bank, the Bank of North America, opens.
- 1785Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard and American John Jeffries travel from Dover, England, to Calais, France, in a gas balloon.
- 1797The modern Italian flag is first used.
- 1835HMS Beagle drops anchor off the Chonos Archipelago.
- 1894William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for motion picture film.
- 1904The distress signal “CQD” is established only to be replaced two years later by “SOS”.
- 1919Montenegrin guerrilla fighters rebel against the planned annexation of Montenegro by Serbia, but fail.
- 1920The New York State Assembly refuses to seat five duly elected Socialist assemblymen.
- 1922Dáil Éireann ratifies the Anglo-Irish Treaty by a 64–57 vote.
- 1927The first transatlantic telephone service is established from New York, New York to London, United Kingdom.
- 1931Guy Menzies flies the first solo non-stop trans-Tasman flight (from Australia to New Zealand) in 11 hours and 45 minutes, crash-landing on New Zealand’s west coast.
- 1935Benito Mussolini and French Foreign minister Pierre Laval sign the Franco-Italian Agreement.
- 1940Winter War: The Finnish 9th Division stops and completely destroys the overwhelming Soviet forces on the Raate-Suomussalmi road.
- 1942World War II: The siege of the Bataan Peninsula begins.
- 1945World War II: British General Bernard Montgomery holds a press conference in which he claims credit for victory in the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1948Kentucky Air National Guard pilot Thomas Mantell crashes while in pursuit of a supposed UFO.
- 1954Georgetown-IBM experiment: The first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- 1955Contralto Marian Anderson becomes the first person of color to perform at the Metropolitan Opera in Giuseppe Verdi’s Un ballo in maschera.
- 1959The United States recognizes the new Cuban government of Fidel Castro.
- 1960The Polaris missile is test launched.
- 1968Surveyor Program: Surveyor 7, the last spacecraft in the Surveyor series, lifts off from launch complex 36A, Cape Canaveral.
- 1970The Punjab Legislative Council (Abolition) Act, 1969 comes into effect.
- 1973Mark Essex fatally shoots ten people and wounds 13 others at Howard Johnson’s Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana, before being shot to death by police officers.
- 1979Third Indochina War: Cambodian–Vietnamese War: Phnom Penh falls to the advancing Vietnamese troops, driving out Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Keith’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)