The following events took place on January 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 307Jin Huidi, Chinese Emperor of the Jin dynasty, is poisoned and succeeded by his son Jin Huaidi.
- 387Siyaj K‘ak’conquers Waka
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as a monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1454The papal bull Romanus Pontifex is written.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1697Last execution for blasphemy in Britain; of Thomas Aikenhead, student, at Edinburgh.
- 1735Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1811An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles and St. James, Louisiana.
- 1815War of 1812: Battle of New Orleans – Andrew Jackson leads American forces in victory over the British.
- 1835The United States national debt is zero for the only time.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1904The Blackstone Library is dedicated, marking the beginning of the Chicago Public Library system.
- 1906A landslide in Haverstraw, New York, caused by the excavation of clay along the Hudson River, kills 20 people.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)