The following events took place on January 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 51 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 475Byzantine Emperor Zeno is forced to flee his capital at Constantinople, and his general, Basiliscus gains control of the empire.
- 681Twelfth Council of Toledo: King Erwig of the Visigoths initiates a council in which he implements diverse measures against the Jews in Spain.
- 1127Jin–Song Wars: Invading Jurchen soldiers from the Jin dynasty besiege and sack Bianjing (Kaifeng), the capital of the Song dynasty of China, and abduct Emperor Qinzong and others, ending the Northern Song dynasty.
- 1150Prince Hailing of Jin and other court officials murder Emperor Xizong of Jin. Hailing succeeds him as emperor.
- 1349The Jewish population of Basel, Switzerland, believed by the residents to be the cause of the ongoing Black Death, is rounded up and incinerated.
- 1431Judges’ investigations for the trial of Joan of Arc begin in Rouen, France, the seat of the English occupation government.
- 1760Afghans defeat Marathas in the Battle of Barari Ghat.
- 1788Connecticut becomes the fifth state to be admitted to the United States.
- 1793Jean-Pierre Blanchard becomes the first person to fly in a balloon in the United States.
- 1799British Prime Minister William Pitt the Younger introduces an income tax of two shillings to the pound to raise funds for Great Britain’s war effort in the Napoleonic Wars.
- 1806Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson receives a state funeral and is interred in St Paul’s Cathedral.
- 1816Sir Humphry Davy tests his safety lamp for miners at Hebburn Colliery.
- 1822The Portuguese prince Pedro I of Brazil decides to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portuguese King João VI, beginning the Brazilian independence process.
- 1839The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- 1857The Fort Tejon earthquake strikes California, registering an estimated magnitude of 7.9.
- 1858Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, commits suicide.
- 1861American Civil War: The “Star of the West” incident occurs near Charleston, South Carolina. It is considered by some historians to be the “First Shots of the American Civil War”.
- 1861Mississippi becomes the second state to secede from the Union before the outbreak of the American Civil War.
- 1863American Civil War: the Battle of Fort Hindman begins in Arkansas.
- 1878Umberto I becomes King of Italy.
- 1880The Great Gale of 1880 devastates parts of Oregon and Washington with high winds and heavy snow.
- 1894New England Telephone and Telegraph installs the first battery-operated telephone switchboard in Lexington, Massachusetts.
- 1903Hallam Tennyson, 2nd Baron Tennyson, son of the poet Alfred Tennyson, becomes the second Governor-General of Australia.
- 1909Ernest Shackleton, leading the Nimrod Expedition to the South Pole, plants the British flag 97 nmi from the South Pole, the farthest anyone had ever reached at that time.
- 1914Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., the first historically black intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity to be officially recognized at Howard University, is founded.
- 1916World War I: The Battle of Gallipoli concludes with an Ottoman Empire victory when the last Allied forces are evacuated from the peninsula.
- 1917World War I: the Battle of Rafa is fought near the Egyptian border with Palestine.
- 1918Battle of Bear Valley: The last battle of the American Indian Wars.
- 1921Greco-Turkish War: The First Battle of İnönü, the first battle of the war, begins near Eskişehir in Anatolia.
- 1923Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro flight.
Curious about this Kiwi Whipped Cream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!