The following events took place on July 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1099First Crusade: Fifteen thousand starving Christian soldiers march in a religious procession around Jerusalem as its Muslim defenders look on.
- 1283War of the Sicilian Vespers: Roger of Lauria, commanding the Aragonese fleet defeats an Angevin fleet sent to put down a rebellion on Malta in the Battle of Malta.
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1579Our Lady of Kazan, a holy icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, is discovered underground in the city of Kazan, Tatarstan.
- 1663Charles II of England grants John Clarke a Royal charter to Rhode Island.
- 1709Great Northern War: Battle of Poltava: Peter I of Russia defeats Charles XII of Sweden at Poltava thus effectively ending Sweden’s role as a major power in Europe.
- 1716Great Northern War: The naval Battle of Dynekilen takes place.
- 1730An estimated magnitude 8.7 earthquake causes a tsunami that damages more than 1000 km of Chile’s coastline.
- 1758French forces hold Fort Carillon against the British at Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1760French and Indian War: Battle of Restigouche: British forces defeat French forces in last naval battle in New France.
- 1775The Olive Branch Petition is signed by the Continental Congress of the Thirteen Colonies of North America.
- 1776Liberty Bell is rung with reading of Declaration of Independence of the United States.
- 1808Joseph Bonaparte approves the Bayonne Statute, a royal charter intended as the basis for his rule as king of Spain.
- 1822Chippewas turn over a huge tract of land in Ontario to the United Kingdom.
- 1853U.S. Commodore Matthew Perry arrives in Edo bay with a treaty requesting trade.
- 1859King Charles XV & IV accedes to the throne of Sweden–Norway.
- 1864Ikedaya Incident: The Choshu Han shishi’s planned Shinsengumi sabotage on Kyoto, Japan at Ikedaya.
- 1874The Mounties begin their March West.
- 1876White supremacists kill five Black Republicans in Hamburg, South Carolina.
- 1879Sailing ship USS Jeannette departs San Francisco carrying an ill-fated expedition to the North Pole.
- 1889The first issue of The Wall Street Journal is published.
- 1892St. John’s, Newfoundland is devastated in the Great Fire of 1892.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith, killed in the Shootout on Juneau Wharf, releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1912Henrique Mitchell de Paiva Couceiro leads an unsuccessful royalist attack against the First Portuguese Republic in Chaves.
- 1932The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches its lowest level of the Great Depression, closing at 41.22.
- 1933The first rugby union test match between the Wallabies of Australia and the Springboks of South Africa is played at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town.
- 1937Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan sign the Treaty of Saadabad.
- 1947Reports are broadcast that a UFO crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico in what became known as the Roswell UFO incident.
- 1948The United States Air Force accepts its first female recruits into a program called Women in the Air Force (WAF).
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Bobbie’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)