The following events took place on July 8. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 39 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1099First Crusade: Fifteen thousand starving Christian soldiers march in a religious procession around Jerusalem as its Muslim defenders look on.
- 1283War of the Sicilian Vespers: Roger of Lauria, commanding the Aragonese fleet defeats an Angevin fleet sent to put down a rebellion on Malta in the Battle of Malta.
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1579Our Lady of Kazan, a holy icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, is discovered underground in the city of Kazan, Tatarstan.
- 1663Charles II of England grants John Clarke a Royal charter to Rhode Island.
- 1709Great Northern War: Battle of Poltava: Peter I of Russia defeats Charles XII of Sweden at Poltava thus effectively ending Sweden’s role as a major power in Europe.
- 1716Great Northern War: The naval Battle of Dynekilen takes place.
- 1730An estimated magnitude 8.7 earthquake causes a tsunami that damages more than 1000 km of Chile’s coastline.
- 1758French forces hold Fort Carillon against the British at Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1760French and Indian War: Battle of Restigouche: British forces defeat French forces in last naval battle in New France.
- 1775The Olive Branch Petition is signed by the Continental Congress of the Thirteen Colonies of North America.
- 1776Liberty Bell is rung with reading of Declaration of Independence of the United States.
- 1808Joseph Bonaparte approves the Bayonne Statute, a royal charter intended as the basis for his rule as king of Spain.
- 1822Chippewas turn over a huge tract of land in Ontario to the United Kingdom.
- 1853U.S. Commodore Matthew Perry arrives in Edo bay with a treaty requesting trade.
- 1859King Charles XV & IV accedes to the throne of Sweden–Norway.
- 1864Ikedaya Incident: The Choshu Han shishi’s planned Shinsengumi sabotage on Kyoto, Japan at Ikedaya.
- 1874The Mounties begin their March West.
- 1876White supremacists kill five Black Republicans in Hamburg, South Carolina.
- 1879Sailing ship USS Jeannette departs San Francisco carrying an ill-fated expedition to the North Pole.
- 1889The first issue of The Wall Street Journal is published.
- 1892St. John’s, Newfoundland is devastated in the Great Fire of 1892.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith, killed in the Shootout on Juneau Wharf, releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1912Henrique Mitchell de Paiva Couceiro leads an unsuccessful royalist attack against the First Portuguese Republic in Chaves.
- 1932The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches its lowest level of the Great Depression, closing at 41.22.
- 1933The first rugby union test match between the Wallabies of Australia and the Springboks of South Africa is played at Newlands Stadium in Cape Town.
- 1937Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan sign the Treaty of Saadabad.
- 1947Reports are broadcast that a UFO crash landed in Roswell, New Mexico in what became known as the Roswell UFO incident.
- 1948The United States Air Force accepts its first female recruits into a program called Women in the Air Force (WAF).
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
Curious about this Pink Pomelo Crunch? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!