The following events took place on June 17. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1462Vlad III the Impaler attempts to assassinate Mehmed II (The Night Attack) forcing him to retreat from Wallachia.
- 1497Battle of Deptford Bridge: Forces under King Henry VII defeat troops led by Michael An Gof.
- 1565Matsunaga Hisahide assassinates the 13th Ashikaga shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiteru.
- 1579Sir Francis Drake claims a land he calls Nova Albion (modern California) for England.
- 1596The Dutch explorer Willem Barentsz discovers the Arctic archipelago of Spitsbergen.
- 1631Mumtaz Mahal dies during childbirth. Her husband, Mughal emperor Shah Jahan I, will spend the next 17 years building her mausoleum, the Taj Mahal.
- 1673French explorers Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet reach the Mississippi River and become the first Europeans to make a detailed account of its course.
- 1773Cúcuta, Colombia, is discovered by Juana Rangel de Cuéllar.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Colonists inflict heavy casualties on British forces while losing the Battle of Bunker Hill.
- 1789In France, the Third Estate declares itself the National Assembly.
- 1795The burghers of Swellendam expel the Dutch East India Company magistrate and declare a republic.
- 1839In the Kingdom of Hawaii, Kamehameha III issues the edict of toleration which gives Roman Catholics the freedom to worship in the Hawaiian Islands. The Hawaii Catholic Church and the Cathedral of Our Lady of Peace are established as a result.
- 1843The Wairau Affray, the first serious clash of arms between Māori and British settlers in the New Zealand Wars, takes place.
- 1861American Civil War: Battle of Vienna, Virginia.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Aldie in the Gettysburg Campaign.
- 1876American Indian Wars: Battle of the Rosebud: One thousand five hundred Sioux and Cheyenne led by Crazy Horse beat back General George Crook’s forces at Rosebud Creek in Montana Territory.
- 1877American Indian Wars: Battle of White Bird Canyon: The Nez Perce defeat the U.S. Cavalry at White Bird Canyon in the Idaho Territory.
- 1885The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor.
- 1898The United States Navy Hospital Corps is established.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion: Allied Western and Japanese forces capture the Taku Forts in Tianjin, China.
- 1901The College Board introduces its first standardized test, the forerunner to the SAT.
- 1910Aurel Vlaicu pilots an A. Vlaicu nr. 1 on its first flight.
- 1922Portuguese naval aviators Gago Coutinho and Sacadura Cabral complete the first aerial crossing of the South Atlantic.
- 1929The town of Murchison, New Zealand Is rocked by a 7.8 magnitude earthquake killing 17. At the time it was New Zealand’s worst natural disaster.
- 1930U.S. President Herbert Hoover signs the Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act into law.
- 1932Bonus Army: Around a thousand World War I veterans amass at the United States Capitol as the U.S. Senate considers a bill that would give them certain benefits.
- 1933Union Station massacre: In Kansas City, Missouri, four FBI agents and captured fugitive Frank Nash are gunned down by gangsters attempting to free Nash.
- 1939Last public guillotining in France: Eugen Weidmann, a convicted murderer, is guillotined in Versailles outside the Saint-Pierre prison.
- 1940World War II: RMS Lancastria is attacked and sunk by the Luftwaffe near Saint-Nazaire, France. At least 3,000 are killed in Britain’s worst maritime disaster.
- 1940World War II: The British Army’s 11th Hussars assault and take Fort Capuzzo in Libya, Africa from Italian forces.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!