The following events took place on June 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 618Li Yuan becomes Emperor Gaozu of Tang, initiating three centuries of Tang dynasty rule over China.
- 1053Battle of Civitate: Three thousand horsemen of Norman Count Humphrey rout the troops of Pope Leo IX.
- 1178Five Canterbury monks see what is possibly the Giordano Bruno crater being formed. It is believed that the current oscillations of the Moon’s distance from the Earth (on the order of meters) are a result of this collision.
- 1264The Parliament of Ireland meets at Castledermot in County Kildare, the first definitively known meeting of this Irish legislature.
- 1429French forces under the leadership of Joan of Arc defeat the main English army under Sir John Fastolf at the Battle of Patay. This turns the tide of the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1633Charles I is crowned King of Scots at St Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh
- 1684The charter of the Massachusetts Bay Colony is revoked via a scire facias writ issued by an English court.
- 1757Battle of Kolín between Prussian forces under Frederick the Great and an Austrian army under the command of Field Marshal Count Leopold Joseph von Daun in the Seven Years’ War.
- 1767Samuel Wallis, an English sea captain, sights Tahiti and is considered the first European to reach the island.
- 1778American Revolutionary War: British troops abandon Philadelphia.
- 1799Action of 18 June 1799: A frigate squadron under Rear-admiral Perrée is captured by the British fleet under Lord Keith
- 1812War of 1812: The U.S. Congress declares war on Great Britain, Canada, and Ireland.
- 1815Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Waterloo results in the defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte by the Duke of Wellington and Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher forcing him to abdicate the throne of France for the second and last time.
- 1830French invasion of Algeria.
- 1858Charles Darwin receives a paper from Alfred Russel Wallace that includes nearly identical conclusions about evolution as Darwin’s own, prompting Darwin to publish his theory.
- 1859First ascent of Aletschhorn, second summit of the Bernese Alps.
- 1873Susan B. Anthony is fined $100 for attempting to vote in the 1872 presidential election.
- 1887The Reinsurance Treaty between Germany and Russia is signed.
- 1900Empress Dowager Longyu of China orders all foreigners killed, including foreign diplomats and their families.
- 1908Japanese immigration to Brazil begins when 781 people arrive in Santos aboard the ship Kasato-Maru.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)