The following events took place on June 20. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 41 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 451Battle of Chalons: Flavius Aetius’ battles Attila the Hun. After the battle, which was inconclusive, Attila retreats, causing the Romans to interpret it as a victory.
- 1248The University of Oxford receives its Royal charter.
- 1631The sack of Baltimore: The Irish village of Baltimore is attacked by Algerian pirates.
- 1652Tarhoncu Ahmed Pasha is appointed Grand Vizier of the Ottoman Empire.
- 1685Monmouth Rebellion: James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth declares himself King of England at Bridgwater.
- 1756A British garrison is imprisoned in the Black Hole of Calcutta.
- 1782The U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States.
- 1787Oliver Ellsworth moves at the Federal Convention to call the government the 'United States'.
- 1789Deputies of the French Third Estate take the Tennis Court Oath.
- 1819The U.S. vessel SS Savannah arrives at Liverpool, United Kingdom. It is the first steam-propelled vessel to cross the Atlantic, although most of the journey is made under sail.
- 1837Queen Victoria succeeds to the British throne.
- 1840Samuel Morse receives the patent for the telegraph.
- 1862Barbu Catargiu, the Prime Minister of Romania, is assassinated.
- 1863American Civil War: West Virginia is admitted as the 35th U.S. state.
- 1877Alexander Graham Bell installs the world’s first commercial telephone service in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.
- 1887Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Bombay.
- 1893Lizzie Borden is acquitted of the murders of her father and stepmother.
- 1895The Kiel Canal, crossing the base of the Jutland peninsula and the busiest artificial waterway in the world, is officially opened.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion: The Imperial Chinese Army begins a 55-day siege of the Legation Quarter in Beijing, China.
- 1900Baron Eduard Toll, leader of the Russian Polar Expedition of 1900, departs Saint Petersburg in Russia on the explorer ship Zarya, never to return.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)