The following events took place on June 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 217 BCThe Romans, led by Gaius Flaminius, are ambushed and defeated by Hannibal at the Battle of Lake Trasimene.
- 533A Byzantine expeditionary fleet under Belisarius sails from Constantinople to attack the Vandals in Africa, via Greece and Sicily.
- 1307Külüg Khan is enthroned as Khagan of the Mongols and Wuzong of the Yuan.
- 1529French forces are driven out of northern Italy by Spain at the Battle of Landriano during the War of the League of Cognac.
- 1582Sengoku period: Oda Nobunaga, the most powerful of the Japanese daimyo, was forced to commit suicide by his own general Akechi Mitsuhide.
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1734In Montreal in New France, a slave known by the French name of Marie-Joseph Angélique is put to death, having been convicted of setting the fire that destroyed much of the city.
- 1749Halifax, Nova Scotia, is founded.
- 1768James Otis, Jr. offends the King and Parliament in a speech to the Massachusetts General Court.
- 1788New Hampshire ratifies the Constitution of the United States and is admitted as the ninth state in the United States.
- 1791King Louis XVI of France and his immediate family begin the Flight to Varennes during the French Revolution.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: The British Army defeats Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
- 1813Peninsular War: Battle of Victoria.
- 1824Greek War of Independence: Egyptian forces capture Psara in the Aegean Sea.
- 1826Maniots defeat Egyptians under Ibrahim Pasha in the Battle of Vergas.
- 1848In the Wallachian Revolution, Ion Heliade Rădulescu and Christian Tell issue the Proclamation of Islaz and create a new republican government.
- 1854The first Victoria Cross is awarded during the bombardment of Bomarsund in the Åland Islands.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road begins.
- 1864New Zealand land wars: The Tauranga Campaign ends.
- 1877The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)