The following events took place on June 21. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 217 BCThe Romans, led by Gaius Flaminius, are ambushed and defeated by Hannibal at the Battle of Lake Trasimene.
- 533A Byzantine expeditionary fleet under Belisarius sails from Constantinople to attack the Vandals in Africa, via Greece and Sicily.
- 1307Külüg Khan is enthroned as Khagan of the Mongols and Wuzong of the Yuan.
- 1529French forces are driven out of northern Italy by Spain at the Battle of Landriano during the War of the League of Cognac.
- 1582Sengoku period: Oda Nobunaga, the most powerful of the Japanese daimyo, was forced to commit suicide by his own general Akechi Mitsuhide.
- 1621Execution of 27 Czech noblemen on the Old Town Square in Prague as a consequence of the Battle of White Mountain.
- 1734In Montreal in New France, a slave known by the French name of Marie-Joseph Angélique is put to death, having been convicted of setting the fire that destroyed much of the city.
- 1749Halifax, Nova Scotia, is founded.
- 1768James Otis, Jr. offends the King and Parliament in a speech to the Massachusetts General Court.
- 1788New Hampshire ratifies the Constitution of the United States and is admitted as the ninth state in the United States.
- 1791King Louis XVI of France and his immediate family begin the Flight to Varennes during the French Revolution.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: The British Army defeats Irish rebels at the Battle of Vinegar Hill.
- 1813Peninsular War: Battle of Victoria.
- 1824Greek War of Independence: Egyptian forces capture Psara in the Aegean Sea.
- 1826Maniots defeat Egyptians under Ibrahim Pasha in the Battle of Vergas.
- 1848In the Wallachian Revolution, Ion Heliade Rădulescu and Christian Tell issue the Proclamation of Islaz and create a new republican government.
- 1854The first Victoria Cross is awarded during the bombardment of Bomarsund in the Åland Islands.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Jerusalem Plank Road begins.
- 1864New Zealand land wars: The Tauranga Campaign ends.
- 1877The Molly Maguires, ten Irish immigrants convicted of murder, are hanged at the Schuylkill County and Carbon County, Pennsylvania prisons.
- 1898The United States captures Guam from Spain.
- 1900Boxer Rebellion. China formally declares war on the United States, Britain, Germany, France and Japan, as an edict issued from the Empress Dowager Cixi.
- 1915The U.S. Supreme Court hands down its decision in Guinn v. United States 238 US 347 1915, striking down an Oklahoma law denying the right to vote to some citizens.
- 1919The Royal Canadian Mounted Police fire a volley into a crowd of unemployed war veterans, killing two, during the Winnipeg General Strike.
- 1919Admiral Ludwig von Reuter scuttles the German fleet in Scapa Flow, Orkney. The nine sailors killed are the last casualties of World War I.
- 1929An agreement brokered by U.S. Ambassador Dwight Whitney Morrow ends the Cristero War in Mexico.
- 1930One-year conscription comes into force in France.
- 1940The first successful west-to-east navigation of Northwest Passage begins at Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- 1942World War II: Tobruk falls to Italian and German forces.
- 1942World War II: A Japanese submarine surfaces near the Columbia River in Oregon, firing 17 shells at nearby Fort Stevens in one of only a handful of attacks by Japan against the United States mainland.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)