The following events took place on June 24. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 109Roman emperor Trajan inaugurates the Aqua Traiana, an aqueduct that channels water from Lake Bracciano, 40 km north-west of Rome.
- 474Julius Nepos forces Roman usurper Glycerius to abdicate the throne and proclaims himself Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 637The Battle of Moira is fought between the High King of Ireland and the Kings of Ulster and Dál Riata. It is claimed to be the largest battle in the history of Ireland.
- 972Battle of Cedynia, the first documented victory of Polish forces, takes place.
- 1128Battle of São Mamede, near Guimarães: Forces led by Afonso I defeat forces led by his mother Teresa of León and her lover Fernando Pérez de Traba. After this battle, the future king calls himself “Prince of Portugal”, the first step towards “official independence” that will be reached in 1139 after the Battle of Ourique.
- 1230The Siege of Jaén started in the context of the Spanish Reconquista.
- 1314First War of Scottish Independence: The Battle of Bannockburn concludes with a decisive victory by Scottish forces led by Robert the Bruce, though England did not recognize Scottish independence until 1328 with the signing of the Treaty of Edinburgh–Northampton.
- 1340Hundred Years’ War: Battle of Sluys: The French fleet is almost completely destroyed by the English fleet commanded in person by King Edward III.
- 1374A sudden outbreak of St. John’s Dance causes people in the streets of Aachen, Germany, to experience hallucinations and begin to jump and twitch uncontrollably until they collapse from exhaustion.
- 1497John Cabot lands in North America at Newfoundland leading the first European exploration of the region since the Vikings.
- 1509Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon are crowned King and Queen of England.
- 1531The city of San Juan del Río, Mexico, is founded.
- 1535The Anabaptist state of Münster is conquered and disbanded.
- 1571Miguel López de Legazpi founds Manila, the capital of the Republic of the Philippines.
- 1597The first Dutch voyage to the East Indies reaches Banten (on Java).
- 1604Samuel de Champlain discovers the mouth of the Saint John River, site of Reversing Falls and the present day city of Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada.
- 1622Battle of Macau: The Dutch attempt but fail to capture Macau.
- 1717The Premier Grand Lodge of England, the first Masonic Grand Lodge in the world (now the United Grand Lodge of England), is founded in London.
- 1762Battle of Wilhelmsthal: The British-Hanoverian army of Ferdinand of Brunswick defeats French forces in Westphalia.
- 1779American Revolutionary War: The Great Siege of Gibraltar begins.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)