The following events took place on June 28. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 59 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1098Fighters of the First Crusade defeat Kerbogha of Mosull.
- 1360Muhammed VI becomes the tenth Nasrid king of Granada after killing his brother-in-law Ismail II.
- 1461Edward IV is crowned King of England.
- 1519Charles V is elected Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1635Guadeloupe becomes a French colony.
- 1651The Battle of Berestechko between Poland and Ukraine starts.
- 1709Peter the Great defeats Charles XII of Sweden at the Battle of Poltava
- 1745War of the Austrian Succession: A New England colonial army captures Louisbourg, New France, after a forty-seven-day siege (New Style).
- 1776The Battle of Sullivan’s Island ends with the first decisive American victory in the American Revolutionary War leading to the commemoration of Carolina Day.
- 1776Thomas Hickey, Continental Army private and bodyguard to General George Washington, is hanged for mutiny and sedition.
- 1778The American Continentals engage the British in the Battle of Monmouth Courthouse resulting in standstill and British withdrawal under cover of darkness.
- 1807Second British invasion of the Río de la Plata; John Whitelocke lands at Ensenada on an attempt to recapture Buenos Aires and is defeated by the locals.
- 1838Coronation of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom.
- 1841The Paris Opera Ballet premieres Giselle in the Salle Le Peletier
- 1846Adolphe Sax patents the saxophone
- 1855Sigma Chi fraternity is founded in North America.
- 1859The first conformation dog show is held in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
- 1865The Army of the Potomac is disbanded.
- 1880The Australian bushranger Ned Kelly is captured at Glenrowan.
- 1881Secret treaty between Austria and Serbia.
- 1882The Anglo-French Convention of 1882 marks the territorial boundaries between Guinea and Sierra Leone.
- 1894Labor Day becomes an official US holiday.
- 1895El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua form the Greater Republic of Central America.
- 1895The United States Court of Private Land Claims rules James Reavis’ claim to Barony of Arizona is “wholly fictitious and fraudulent.”
- 1896An explosion in the Newton Coal Company’s Twin Shaft Mine in Pittston, Pennsylvania results in a massive cave-in that kills 58 miners.
- 1902The U.S. Congress passes the Spooner Act, authorizing President Theodore Roosevelt to acquire rights from Colombia for the Panama Canal.
- 1904The SS Norge runs aground and sinks
- 1914Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria and his wife Sophie are assassinated in Sarajevo by Bosnia Serb nationalist Gavrilo Princip, the casus belli of World War I.
- 1919The Treaty of Versailles is signed, ending the state of war between Germany and the Allies of World War I.
- 1921Serbian King Alexander I proclaims the new constitution of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, known thereafter as the Vidovdan Constitution.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)