The following events took place on June 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 226Cao Pi dies after an illness; his son Cao Rui succeeds him as emperor of the Kingdom of Wei.
- 1149Raymond of Poitiers is defeated and killed at the Battle of Inab by Nur ad-Din Zangi.
- 1194Sverre is crowned King of Norway.
- 1444Skanderbeg defeats an Ottoman invasion force at Torvioll.
- 1534Jacques Cartier is the first European to reach Prince Edward Island.
- 1613The Globe Theatre in London burns to the ground.
- 1644Charles I of England defeats a Parliamentarian detachment at the Battle of Cropredy Bridge, the last battle won by an English King on English soil.
- 1659At the Battle of Konotop the Ukrainian armies of Ivan Vyhovsky defeat the Russians led by Prince Trubetskoy.
- 1776First privateer battle of the American Revolutionary War fought at Turtle Gut Inlet near Cape May, New Jersey
- 1776Father Francisco Palou founds Mission San Francisco de Asís in what is now San Francisco.
- 1786Alexander Macdonell and over five hundred Roman Catholic highlanders leave Scotland to settle in Glengarry County, Ontario.
- 1807Russo-Turkish War: Admiral Dmitry Senyavin destroys the Ottoman fleet in the Battle of Athos.
- 1850Autocephaly officially granted by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Church of Greece.
- 1864Ninety-nine people are killed in Canada’s worst railway disaster near St-Hilaire, Quebec.
- 1874Greek politician Charilaos Trikoupis publishes a manifesto in the Athens daily Kairoi entitled “Who’s to Blame?” in which he lays out his complaints against King George. He is elected Prime Minister of Greece the next year.
- 1880France annexes Tahiti.
- 1881In Sudan, Muhammad Ahmad declares himself to be the Mahdi, the messianic redeemer of Islam.
- 1888George Edward Gouraud records Handel’s Israel in Egypt onto a phonograph cylinder, thought for many years to be the oldest known recording of music.
- 1889Hyde Park and several other Illinois townships vote to be annexed by Chicago, forming the largest United States city in area and second largest in population.
- 1895Doukhobors burn their weapons as a protest against conscription by the Tsarist Russian government.
- 1914Jina Guseva attempts to assassinate Grigori Rasputin at his home town in Siberia.
- 1915The North Saskatchewan River flood of 1915 is the worst flood in Edmonton history.
- 1916The Irish Nationalist and British diplomat Roger Casement is sentenced to death for his part in the Easter Rising.
- 1922France grants 1 km² at Vimy Ridge “freely, and for all time, to the Government of Canada, the free use of the land exempt from all taxes”.
- 1926Arthur Meighen returns to office as Prime Minister of Canada.
- 1927The Bird of Paradise, a U.S. Army Air Corps Fokker tri-motor, completes the first transpacific flight, from the mainland United States to Hawaii.
- 1927First test of Wallace Turnbull’s controllable-pitch propeller.
- 1928The Outerbridge Crossing and Goethals Bridge in Staten Island, New York are both opened.
- 1945Carpathian Ruthenia is annexed by the Soviet Union.
- 1956The Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 is signed, officially creating the United States Interstate Highway System.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jack’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)