The following events took place on June 29. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 43 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 226Cao Pi dies after an illness; his son Cao Rui succeeds him as emperor of the Kingdom of Wei.
- 1149Raymond of Poitiers is defeated and killed at the Battle of Inab by Nur ad-Din Zangi.
- 1194Sverre is crowned King of Norway.
- 1444Skanderbeg defeats an Ottoman invasion force at Torvioll.
- 1534Jacques Cartier is the first European to reach Prince Edward Island.
- 1613The Globe Theatre in London burns to the ground.
- 1644Charles I of England defeats a Parliamentarian detachment at the Battle of Cropredy Bridge, the last battle won by an English King on English soil.
- 1659At the Battle of Konotop the Ukrainian armies of Ivan Vyhovsky defeat the Russians led by Prince Trubetskoy.
- 1776First privateer battle of the American Revolutionary War fought at Turtle Gut Inlet near Cape May, New Jersey
- 1776Father Francisco Palou founds Mission San Francisco de Asís in what is now San Francisco.
- 1786Alexander Macdonell and over five hundred Roman Catholic highlanders leave Scotland to settle in Glengarry County, Ontario.
- 1807Russo-Turkish War: Admiral Dmitry Senyavin destroys the Ottoman fleet in the Battle of Athos.
- 1850Autocephaly officially granted by the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Church of Greece.
- 1864Ninety-nine people are killed in Canada’s worst railway disaster near St-Hilaire, Quebec.
- 1874Greek politician Charilaos Trikoupis publishes a manifesto in the Athens daily Kairoi entitled “Who’s to Blame?” in which he lays out his complaints against King George. He is elected Prime Minister of Greece the next year.
- 1880France annexes Tahiti.
- 1881In Sudan, Muhammad Ahmad declares himself to be the Mahdi, the messianic redeemer of Islam.
- 1888George Edward Gouraud records Handel’s Israel in Egypt onto a phonograph cylinder, thought for many years to be the oldest known recording of music.
- 1889Hyde Park and several other Illinois townships vote to be annexed by Chicago, forming the largest United States city in area and second largest in population.
- 1895Doukhobors burn their weapons as a protest against conscription by the Tsarist Russian government.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)