The following events took place on June 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 47 events. Showing 31 - 47.
- 1959A United States Air Force F-100 Super Sabre from Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, crashes into a nearby elementary school, killing 11 students plus six residents from the local neighborhood.
- 1960Congo gains independence from Belgium.
- 1963Ciaculli massacre: a car bomb, intended for Mafia boss Salvatore Greco, kills seven police officers and military personnel near Palermo.
- 1966The National Organization for Women, the United States’ largest feminist organization, is founded.
- 1968Pope Paul VI issues the Credo of the People of God.
- 1971The crew of the Soviet Soyuz 11 spacecraft are killed when their air supply escapes through a faulty valve.
- 1971Ohio ratifies the 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, reducing the voting age to 18, thereby putting the amendment into effect.
- 1972The first leap second is added to the UTC time system.
- 1974The Baltimore municipal strike of 1974 begins.
- 1977The Southeast Asia Treaty Organization disbands.
- 1985Thirty-nine American hostages from the hijacked TWA Flight 847 are freed in Beirut after being held for 17 days.
- 1986The U.S. Supreme Court rules in Bowers v. Hardwick that states can outlaw homosexual acts between consenting adults.
- 1990East Germany and West Germany merge their economies.
- 1997The United Kingdom transfers sovereignty over Hong Kong to the People’s Republic of China.
- 2013Mass protests are held in Egypt.
- 201319 firefighters die controlling a wildfire in Yarnell, Arizona.
- 2015A Hercules C-130 military aircraft with 113 people onboard crashes in a residential area in the Indonesian city of Medan, resulting in at least 116 deaths.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Opal’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)