The following events took place on June 6. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 55 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1508Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, is defeated in Friuli by Venetian troops
- 1513Italian Wars: Battle of Novara. Swiss troops defeat the French under Louis II de la Trémoille, forcing the French to abandon Milan. Duke Massimiliano Sforza is restored.
- 1523Gustav Vasa, the Swedish regent, is elected King of Sweden, marking a symbolic end to the Kalmar Union. This is the Swedish national day.
- 1586Francis Drake’s forces raid St. Augustine in Spanish Florida.
- 1644The Qing dynasty Manchu forces led by the Shunzhi Emperor capture Beijing during the collapse of the Ming dynasty.
- 1654Queen Christina abdicates the Swedish throne and is succeeded by her cousin Charles X Gustav.
- 1674Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire, is crowned.
- 1683The Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, England, opens as the world’s first university museum.
- 1749The Conspiracy of the Slaves in Malta is discovered.
- 1752A devastating fire destroys one-third of Moscow, including 18,000 homes.
- 1762Seven Years’ War: British forces begin a siege of Havana, Cuba, and temporarily capture the city in the Battle of Havana.
- 1808Napoleon’s brother, Joseph Bonaparte, is crowned King of Spain.
- 1809Sweden promulgates a new Constitution, which restores political power to the Riksdag of the Estates after 20 years of enlightened absolutism. At the same time, Charles XIII is elected to succeed Gustav IV Adolf as King of Sweden.
- 1813War of 1812: Battle of Stoney Creek: A British force of 700 under John Vincent defeats an American force twice its size under William Winder and John Chandler.
- 1822Alexis St. Martin is accidentally shot in the stomach, leading to William Beaumont’s studies on digestion.
- 1832The June Rebellion in Paris is put down by the National Guard.
- 1833Andrew Jackson becomes the first U.S. President to ride on a train.
- 1844The Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) is founded in London.
- 1857Sophia of Nassau marries the future King Oscar II of Sweden–Norway.
- 1859Australia: Queensland is established as a separate colony from New South Wales (Queensland Day).
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Memphis: Union forces capture Memphis, Tennessee, from the Confederates.
- 1882More than 100,000 inhabitants of Bombay are killed when a cyclone in the Arabian Sea pushes huge waves into the harbour.
- 1882The Shewan forces of Menelik II of Ethiopia defeat the Gojjame army in the Battle of Embabo. The Shewans capture Negus Tekle Haymanot of Gojjam, and their victory leads to a Shewan hegemony over the territories south of the Abay River.
- 1889The Great Seattle Fire destroys all of downtown Seattle.
- 1892The Chicago “L” commuter rail system begins operation
- 1894Governor Davis H. Waite orders the Colorado state militia to protect and support the miners engaged in the Cripple Creek miners’ strike.
- 1909French troops capture Abéché (in modern-day Chad) and install a puppet sultan in the Ouaddai Empire.
- 1912The eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins. It is the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th century.
- 1918World War I: Battle of Belleau Wood: The U.S. Marine Corps suffers its worst single day’s casualties while attempting to recapture the wood at Château-Thierry.
- 1919The Republic of Prekmurje ends.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Fredrick’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)