The following events took place on June 9. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 50 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 411 BCThe Athenian coup succeeds, forming a short-lived oligarchy.
- 53The Roman emperor Nero marries Claudia Octavia.
- 68The Roman emperor Nero commits suicide, after quoting Homer’s Iliad, thus ending the Julio-Claudian dynasty and starting the civil war known as the Year of the Four Emperors.
- 721Odo of Aquitaine defeats the Moors in the Battle of Toulouse.
- 747Abbasid Revolution: Abu Muslim Khorasani, Arab military leader, begins an open revolt against Umayyad rule, which is carried out under the sign of the Black Standard.
- 1311Duccio’s Maestà Altarpiece, a seminal artwork of the early Italian Renaissance, is unveiled and installed in Siena Cathedral in Siena, Italy.
- 1534Jacques Cartier is the first European to discover the Saint Lawrence River.
- 1650The Harvard Corporation, the more powerful of the two administrative boards of Harvard, is established. It is the first legal corporation in the Americas.
- 1667Second Anglo-Dutch War: The Raid on the Medway by the Dutch fleet begins. It lasts for five days and results in the worst ever defeat of the Royal Navy.
- 1732James Oglethorpe is granted a royal charter for the colony of the future U.S. state of Georgia.
- 1762British forces begin the Siege of Havana and capture the city during the Seven Years’ War.
- 1772The British schooner Gaspee is burned off the coast of Rhode Island.
- 1798Irish Rebellion of 1798: Battle of Arklow and Battle of Saintfield.
- 1815End of the Congress of Vienna: The new European political situation is set. Also, Luxembourg declares independence from the French Empire.
- 1856Five hundred Mormons leave Iowa City, Iowa, and head west for Salt Lake City carrying all their possessions in two-wheeled handcarts.
- 1862American Civil War: Stonewall Jackson concludes his successful Shenandoah Valley Campaign with a victory in the Battle of Port Republic; his tactics during the campaign are now studied by militaries around the world.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Brandy Station, Virginia.
- 1873Alexandra Palace in London burns down after being open for only 16 days.
- 1885Treaty of Tientsin is signed to end the Sino-French War, with China eventually giving up Tonkin and Annam – most of present-day Vietnam – to France.
- 1900Birsa Munda, an important figure in the Indian independence movement, dies in a British prison under mysterious circumstances.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)