The following events took place on March 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 37 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 241 BCFirst Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands: The Romans sink the Carthaginian fleet bringing the First Punic War to an end.
- 298Roman Emperor Maximian concludes his campaign in North Africa against the Berbers, and makes a triumphal entry into Carthage.
- 1607Susenyos I defeats the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II at the Battle of Gol in Gojjam, making him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1629Charles I of England dissolves Parliament, beginning the eleven-year period known as the Personal Rule.
- 1735An agreement between Nader Shah and Russia is signed near Ganja, Azerbaijan and Russian troops are withdrawn from Baku.
- 1762French Huguenot Jean Calas, who had been wrongly convicted of killing his son, dies after being tortured by authorities; the event inspired Voltaire to begin a campaign for religious tolerance and legal reform.
- 1804Louisiana Purchase: In St. Louis, Missouri, a formal ceremony is conducted to transfer ownership of the Louisiana Territory from France to the United States.
- 1814Napoleon I of France is defeated at the Battle of Laon in France.
- 1816Crossing of the Andes: A group of royalist scouts is captured during the Action of Juncalito.
- 1830The Royal Netherlands East Indies Army is created.
- 1831The French Foreign Legion is established by King Louis Philippe to support his war in Algeria.
- 1848The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is ratified by the United States Senate, ending the Mexican–American War.
- 1861El Hadj Umar Tall seizes the city of Ségou, destroying the Bamana Empire of Mali.
- 1876Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you.”
- 1891Almon Strowger, an undertaker in Topeka, Kansas, patents the Strowger switch, a device which led to the automation of telephone circuit switching.
- 1906The Courrières mine disaster, Europe’s worst ever, kills 1099 miners in Northern France.
- 1909By signing the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909, Thailand relinquishes its sovereignty over the Malay states of Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis and Terengganu, which become British protectorates.
- 1915The Battle of Neuve Chapelle begins. This is the first large-scale operation by the British Army.
- 1917Some provinces and cities in the Philippines are incorporated due to the ratification of Act No. 2711 or the Administrative Code of the Philippines.
- 1922Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in India, tried for sedition, and sentenced to six years in prison, only to be released after nearly two years for an appendicitis operation.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)