The following events took place on March 10. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 37 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 241 BCFirst Punic War: Battle of the Aegates Islands: The Romans sink the Carthaginian fleet bringing the First Punic War to an end.
- 298Roman Emperor Maximian concludes his campaign in North Africa against the Berbers, and makes a triumphal entry into Carthage.
- 1607Susenyos I defeats the combined armies of Yaqob and Abuna Petros II at the Battle of Gol in Gojjam, making him Emperor of Ethiopia.
- 1629Charles I of England dissolves Parliament, beginning the eleven-year period known as the Personal Rule.
- 1735An agreement between Nader Shah and Russia is signed near Ganja, Azerbaijan and Russian troops are withdrawn from Baku.
- 1762French Huguenot Jean Calas, who had been wrongly convicted of killing his son, dies after being tortured by authorities; the event inspired Voltaire to begin a campaign for religious tolerance and legal reform.
- 1804Louisiana Purchase: In St. Louis, Missouri, a formal ceremony is conducted to transfer ownership of the Louisiana Territory from France to the United States.
- 1814Napoleon I of France is defeated at the Battle of Laon in France.
- 1816Crossing of the Andes: A group of royalist scouts is captured during the Action of Juncalito.
- 1830The Royal Netherlands East Indies Army is created.
- 1831The French Foreign Legion is established by King Louis Philippe to support his war in Algeria.
- 1848The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is ratified by the United States Senate, ending the Mexican–American War.
- 1861El Hadj Umar Tall seizes the city of Ségou, destroying the Bamana Empire of Mali.
- 1876Alexander Graham Bell makes the first successful telephone call by saying “Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you.”
- 1891Almon Strowger, an undertaker in Topeka, Kansas, patents the Strowger switch, a device which led to the automation of telephone circuit switching.
- 1906The Courrières mine disaster, Europe’s worst ever, kills 1099 miners in Northern France.
- 1909By signing the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909, Thailand relinquishes its sovereignty over the Malay states of Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis and Terengganu, which become British protectorates.
- 1915The Battle of Neuve Chapelle begins. This is the first large-scale operation by the British Army.
- 1917Some provinces and cities in the Philippines are incorporated due to the ratification of Act No. 2711 or the Administrative Code of the Philippines.
- 1922Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in India, tried for sedition, and sentenced to six years in prison, only to be released after nearly two years for an appendicitis operation.
- 1933An earthquake in Long Beach, California kills 115 people and causes an estimated $40 million in damage.
- 1944Greek Civil War: The Political Committee of National Liberation is established in Greece by the National Liberation Front.
- 1945The U.S. Army Air Force firebombs Tokyo, and the resulting conflagration kills more than 100,000 people, mostly civilians.
- 1952Fulgencio Batista leads a successful coup in Cuba and appoints himself as the “provisional president”.
- 1959Tibetan uprising: Fearing an abduction attempt by China, 300,000 Tibetans surround the Dalai Lama’s palace to prevent his removal.
- 1966Military Prime Minister of South Vietnam Nguyễn Cao Kỳ sacked rival General Nguyễn Chánh Thi, precipitating large-scale civil and military dissension in parts of the nation.
- 1968Vietnam War: Battle of Lima Site 85, concluding the 11th with largest single ground combat loss of United States Air Force members (12) during that war.
- 1969In Memphis, Tennessee, James Earl Ray pleads guilty to assassinating Martin Luther King, Jr. He later unsuccessfully attempts to retract his plea.
- 1970Vietnam War: Captain Ernest Medina is charged by the U.S. military with My Lai war crimes.
- 1975Vietnam War: Ho Chi Minh Campaign: North Vietnamese troops attack Ban Mê Thuột in the South on their way to capturing Saigon in the final push for victory over South Vietnam.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Marcus’ personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)