The following events took place on March 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 538Vitiges, king of the Ostrogoths ends his siege of Rome and retreats to Ravenna, leaving the city in the hands of the victorious Byzantine general, Belisarius.
- 1550Several hundred Spanish and indigenous troops under the command of Pedro de Valdivia defeat an army of 60,000 Mapuche at the Battle of Penco during the Arauco War in present-day Chile.
- 1622Ignatius of Loyola and Francis Xavier, founders of the Jesuits, are canonized as saints by the Catholic Church.
- 1689The Williamite War in Ireland begins.
- 1811Peninsular War: A day after a successful rearguard action, French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 1864American Civil War: The Red River Campaign begins as a US Navy fleet of 13 Ironclads and 7 Gunboats and other support ships enter the Red River.
- 1868Henry O'Farrell attempts to assassinate Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.
- 1868Basutoland, toaday called Lesotho is annexed by the United Kingdom.
- 1881Andrew Watson makes his Scotland debut as the world’s first black international football player and captain.
- 1885Tonkin Campaign: France captures the citadel of Bắc Ninh.
- 1894Coca-Cola is bottled and sold for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi, by local soda fountain operator Joseph Biedenharn.
- 1910Greek cruiser Georgios Averof is launched at Livorno.
- 1912The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- 1913Canberra Day: The future capital of Australia is officially named Canberra. (Melbourne remains temporary capital until 1927 while the new capital is still under construction.)
- 1918Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1920The Kapp Putsch begins when the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt is ordered to march on Berlin.
- 1921İstiklâl Marşı is adopted in the Grand National Assembly of Turkey.
- 1922Armenia, Georgia and Azerbaijan form The Transcaucasian Socialist Federative Soviet Republic
- 1928In California, the St. Francis Dam fails; the resulting floods kill over 600 people.
- 1930Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)