The following events took place on March 17. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 44 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 45 BCIn his last victory, Julius Caesar defeats the Pompeian forces of Titus Labienus and Pompey the Younger in the Battle of Munda.
- 180Marcus Aurelius dies leaving Commodus the sole emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 455Petronius Maximus becomes, with support of the Roman Senate, emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 624Led by Muhammad, the Muslims of Medina defeat the Quraysh of Mecca in the Battle of Badr.
- 1001The King of Butuan in the Philippines sends a tributary mission to the Song dynasty of China.
- 1337Edward, the Black Prince is made Duke of Cornwall, the first Duchy in England.
- 1452The Battle of Los Alporchones is fought in the context of the Spanish Reconquista between the Emirate of Granada and the combined forces of the Kingdom of Castile and Murcia resulting in a Christian victory.
- 1560Fort Coligny on Villegagnon Island in Rio de Janeiro is attacked and destroyed during the Portuguese campaign against France Antarctique.
- 1677The Siege of Valenciennes, during the Franco-Dutch War, ends with France’s taking of the city.
- 1776American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 1780American Revolution: George Washington grants the Continental Army a holiday “as an act of solidarity with the Irish in their fight for independence”.
- 1805The Italian Republic, with Napoleon as president, becomes the Kingdom of Italy, with Napoleon as King.
- 1842The Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is formed;
- 1860The First Taranaki War begins in Taranaki, New Zealand, a major phase of the New Zealand land wars.
- 1861The Kingdom of Italy is proclaimed.
- 1891SS Utopia collides with HMS Anson in the Bay of Gibraltar and sinks, killing 562 of the 880 passengers on board.
- 1921The Second Polish Republic adopts the March Constitution.
- 1939Second Sino-Japanese War: Battle of Nanchang between the Kuomintang and Japan begins,
- 1941In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1942Holocaust: The first Jews from the Lvov Ghetto are gassed at the Belzec death camp in what is today eastern Poland.
- 1945The Ludendorff Bridge in Remagen, Germany, collapses, ten days after its capture.
- 1947First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 1948The Benelux, France, and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Brussels, a precursor to the North Atlantic Treaty establishing NATO.
- 1950Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name “californium”.
- 1957A plane crash in Cebu, Philippines kills Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay and 24 others.
- 1958The United States launches the Vanguard 1 satellite.
- 1959Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, flees Tibet for India.
- 1960U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the National Security Council directive on the anti-Cuban covert action program that will ultimately lead to the Bay of Pigs Invasion.
- 1963Mount Agung erupted on Bali killing more than 1,100 people.
- 1966Off the coast of Spain in the Mediterranean, the DSV Alvin submarine finds a missing American hydrogen bomb.
Curious about this Pomegranate Sour Ball? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!