The following events took place on March 26. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 45 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 590Emperor Maurice proclaims his son Theodosius as co-emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1027Pope John XIX crowns Conrad II as Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1169Saladin becomes the emir of Egypt.
- 1344The Siege of Algeciras, one of the first European military engagements where gunpowder was used, comes to an end.
- 1351Combat of the Thirty : Thirty Breton Knights call out and defeat thirty English Knights.
- 1484William Caxton prints his translation of Aesop’s Fables.
- 1552Guru Amar Das becomes the Third Sikh guru.
- 1636Utrecht University is founded in the Netherlands.
- 1812An earthquake destroys Caracas, Venezuela.
- 1812A political cartoon in the Boston Gazette coins the term “gerrymander” to describe oddly shaped electoral districts designed to help incumbents win reelection.
- 1830The Book of Mormon is published in Palmyra, New York.
- 1839The first Henley Royal Regatta is held.
- 1881Thessaly is freed and becomes part of Greece again.
- 1885The Métis people of the District of Saskatchewan under Louis Riel begin the North-West Rebellion against Canada.
- 1913Balkan Wars: Bulgarian forces capture Adrianople.
- 1915Ice hockey: The Vancouver Millionaires sweep the Ottawa Senators three-games-to-none to win the 1915 Stanley Cup Finals, the first championship played between the Pacific Coast Hockey Association and the National Hockey Association.
- 1917World War I: First Battle of Gaza – British troops are halted after 17,000 Turks block their advance.
- 1922The German Social Democratic Party is founded in Poland.
- 1931Swissair is founded as the national airline of Switzerland.
- 1931Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union is founded in Vietnam.
- 1934The United Kingdom driving test is introduced.
- 1939Spanish Civil War: Nationalists begin their final offensive of the war.
- 1942World War II: The first female prisoners arrive at Auschwitz concentration camp in German-occupied Poland.
- 1945World War II: The Battle of Iwo Jima ends as the island is officially secured by American forces.
- 1958The United States Army launches Explorer 3.
- 1958The African Regroupment Party is launched at a meeting in Paris.
- 1967Ten thousand people gather for one of many Central Park be-ins in New York City
- 1970South Vietnamese President Nguyễn Văn Thiệu implements a land reform program to solve the problem of land tenancy
- 1971East Pakistan declares its independence from Pakistan to form the People’s Republic of Bangladesh and the Bangladesh Liberation War begins.
- 1974Gaura Devi leads a group of 27 women of Laata village, Henwalghati, Garhwal Himalayas, to form circles around trees to stop them being felled and giving rise to the Chipko movement in India.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Geneva’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)