The following events took place on March 30. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 37 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 598Balkan Campaign: The Avars lift the siege at the Byzantine stronghold of Tomis. Their leader Bayan I retreats north of the Danube River after the Avaro-Slavic hordes are decimated by the plague.
- 1282The people of Sicily rebel against the Angevin king Charles I, in what becomes known as the Sicilian Vespers.
- 1296Edward I sacks Berwick-upon-Tweed, during armed conflict between Scotland and England.
- 1815Joachim Murat issues the Rimini Proclamation which would later inspire Italian unification.
- 1822The Florida Territory is created in the United States.
- 1841The National Bank of Greece is founded in Athens.
- 1842Ether anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
- 1844One of the most important battles of the Dominican War of Independence from Haiti takes place near the city of Santiago de los Caballeros.
- 1855Origins of the American Civil War: “Border Ruffians” from Missouri invade Kansas and force election of a pro-slavery legislature.
- 1856The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Crimean War.
- 1863Danish prince Wilhelm Georg is chosen as King George of Greece.
- 1867Alaska is purchased from Russia for $7.2 million, about 2-cent/acre ($4.19/km²), by United States Secretary of State William H. Seward.
- 1870Texas is readmitted to the Union following Reconstruction.
- 1885The Battle for Kushka triggers the Panjdeh Incident which nearly gives rise to war between the British Empire and Russian Empire.
- 1899German Society of Chemistry issues an invitation to other national scientific organizations to appoint delegates to the International Committee on Atomic Weights.
- 1909The Queensboro Bridge in New York City opens, linking Manhattan and Queens.
- 1910The Mississippi Legislature founds the University of Southern Mississippi.
- 1912Sultan Abd al-Hafid signs the Treaty of Fes, making Morocco a French protectorate.
- 1918Outburst of bloody March Events in Baku and other locations of Baku Governorate.
- 1939The Heinkel He 100 fighter sets a world airspeed record of 463 mph (745km/h).
- 1939Detective Comics #27 is released, introducing Batman.
- 1940Second Sino-Japanese War: Japan declares Nanking capital of a new Chinese puppet government, nominally controlled by Wang Jingwei.
- 1944World War II: Allied bombers conduct their most severe bombing run on Sofia, Bulgaria.
- 1944Allied bombing raid on Nuremberg. Along the English eastern coast 795 aircraft are despatched, including 572 Lancasters, 214 Halifaxes and 9 Mosquitos. The bombers meet resistance at the coasts of Belgium and the Netherlands from German fighters. In total, 95 bombers are lost, making it the largest RAF Bomber Command loss of World War II.
- 1945World War II: Soviet forces invade Austria and capture Vienna; Polish and Soviet forces liberate Danzig.
- 1949A riot breaks out in Austurvöllur square in Reykjavík, when Iceland joins NATO.
- 1954The Yonge Street subway line opens in Toronto. It is the first subway in Canada.
- 1961The Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs is signed in New York City.
- 1964Jeopardy!, hosted by Art Fleming debuts.
- 1965Vietnam War: A car bomb explodes in front of the United States Embassy, Saigon, killing 22 and wounding 183 others.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Victoria’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)