The following events took place on May 12. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 60 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 254Pope Stephen I succeeds Pope Lucius I as the 23rd pope.
- 304Roman Emperor Diocletian orders the beheading of the 14-year-old Pancras of Rome.
- 907Zhu Wen forces Emperor Ai into abdicating, ending the Tang dynasty after nearly three hundred years of rule.
- 922After much hardship, Abbasid envoy Ahmad ibn Fadlan arrived in the lands of Volga Bulgars.
- 1191Richard I of England marries Berengaria of Navarre who is crowned Queen consort of England the same day.
- 1328Antipope Nicholas V, a claimant to the papacy, is consecrated in Rome by the Bishop of Venice.
- 1364Jagiellonian University, the oldest university in Poland, is founded in Kraków, Poland.
- 1510The Prince of Anhua rebellion begins when Zhu Zhifan kills all the officials invited to a banquet and declares his intent on ousting the powerful Ming dynasty eunuch Liu Jin during the reign of the Zhengde Emperor.
- 1551National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, is founded in Lima, Peru.
- 1588French Wars of Religion: Henry III of France flees Paris after Henry I, Duke of Guise enters the city and a spontaneous uprising occurs.
- 1619Dutch statesman Johan van Oldenbarnevelt is sentenced to death for high treason.
- 1689King William’s War: William III of England joins the League of Augsburg starting a war with France.
- 1743Maria Theresa of Austria is crowned Queen of Bohemia after defeating her rival, Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: In the largest defeat of the Continental Army, Charleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
- 1797War of the First Coalition: Napoleon I of France conquers Venice.
- 1821The first major battle of the Greek War of Independence against the Turks is fought in Valtetsi.
- 1862U.S. federal troops occupy Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Raymond: Two divisions of James B. McPherson’s XVII Corps turn the left wing of Confederate General John C. Pemberton’s defensive line on Fourteen Mile Creek, opening up the interior of Mississippi to the Union Army during the Vicksburg Campaign.
- 1864American Civil War: The Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: Thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die in “the Bloody Angle”.
- 1865American Civil War: The Battle of Palmito Ranch: The first day of the last major land action to take place during the Civil War, resulting in a Confederate victory.
- 1870The Manitoba Act is given the Royal Assent, paving the way for Manitoba to become a province of Canada on July 15.
- 1873Coronation of Oscar II of Sweden
- 1881In North Africa, Tunisia becomes a French protectorate.
- 1885North-West Rebellion: The four-day Battle of Batoche, pitting rebel Métis against the Canadian government, comes to an end with a decisive rebel defeat.
- 1926General Strike: In the United Kingdom, a nine-day general strike by trade unions ends.
- 1926The Italian-built airship Norge becomes the first vessel to fly over the North Pole.
- 1932Ten weeks after his abduction, the infant son of Charles Lindbergh, Charles Jr., is found dead in Hopewell, New Jersey, just a few miles from the Lindberghs’ home.
- 1933The Agricultural Adjustment Act is enacted to restrict agricultural production by paying farmers subsidies.
- 1935Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith (founders of Alcoholics Anonymous) meet for the first time in Akron, Ohio, at the home of Henrietta Siberling.
- 1937The Duke and Duchess of York are crowned as King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Westminster Abbey.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)