The following events took place on May 13. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 66 events. Showing 1 - 20.
- 1373Julian of Norwich has visions which are later transcribed in her Revelations of Divine Love.
- 1515Mary Tudor, Queen of France and Charles Brandon, 1st Duke of Suffolk are officially married at Greenwich.
- 1568Battle of Langside: The forces of Mary, Queen of Scots, are defeated by a confederacy of Scottish Protestants under James Stewart, Earl of Moray, her half-brother.
- 1619Dutch statesman Johan van Oldenbarnevelt is executed in The Hague after being convicted of treason.
- 1648Construction of the Red Fort at Delhi is completed.
- 1779War of the Bavarian Succession: Russian and French mediators at the Congress of Teschen negotiate an end to the war. In the agreement Austria receives the part of its territory that was taken from it (the Innviertel).
- 1780The Cumberland Compact is signed by leaders of the settlers in early Tennessee.
- 1787Captain Arthur Phillip leaves Portsmouth, England, with eleven ships full of convicts (the “First Fleet”) to establish a penal colony in Australia.
- 1804Forces sent by Yusuf Karamanli of Tripoli to retake Derna from the Americans attack the city.
- 1830Ecuador gains its independence from Gran Colombia.
- 1846Mexican–American War: The United States declares war on Mexico.
- 1848First performance of Finland’s national anthem.
- 1861American Civil War: Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom issues a “proclamation of neutrality” which recognizes the breakaway states as having belligerent rights.
- 1861The Great Comet of 1861 is discovered by John Tebbutt of Windsor, New South Wales, Australia.
- 1861Pakistan’s (then a part of British India) first railway line opens, from Karachi to Kotri.
- 1862The USS Planter, a steamer and gunship, steals through Confederate lines and is passed to the Union, by a southern slave, Robert Smalls, who later was officially appointed as captain, becoming the first black man to command a United States ship.
- 1864American Civil War: Battle of Resaca: The battle begins with Union General Sherman fighting toward Atlanta.
- 1865American Civil War: Battle of Palmito Ranch: In far south Texas, more than a month after Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s surrender, the last land battle of the Civil War ends with a Confederate victory.
- 1880In Menlo Park, New Jersey, Thomas Edison performs the first test of his electric railway.
- 1888With the passage of the Lei Áurea (“Golden Law”), Brazil abolishes slavery.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)