The following events took place on May 14. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 38 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1264Battle of Lewes: Henry III of England is captured and forced to sign the Mise of Lewes, making Simon de Montfort the de facto ruler of England.
- 1509Battle of Agnadello: In northern Italy, French forces defeat the Venetians.
- 1607Jamestown, Virginia is settled as an English colony.
- 1608The Protestant Union is founded in Auhausen.
- 1610Henry IV of France is assassinated, bringing Louis XIII to the throne.
- 1643Four-year-old Louis XIV becomes King of France upon the death of his father, Louis XIII.
- 1747War of the Austrian Succession: A British fleet under Admiral George Anson defeats the French at the First Battle of Cape Finisterre.
- 1787In Philadelphia, delegates convene a Constitutional Convention to write a new Constitution for the United States; George Washington presides.
- 1796Edward Jenner administers the first smallpox inoculation.
- 1804The Lewis and Clark Expedition departs from Camp Dubois and begins its historic journey by traveling up the Missouri River.
- 1811Paraguay: Pedro Juan Caballero, Fulgencio Yegros and José Gaspar Rodríguez de Francia start actions to depose the Spanish governor
- 1836The Treaties of Velasco are signed in Velasco, Texas.
- 1863American Civil War: The Battle of Jackson takes place.
- 1868Boshin War: The Battle of Utsunomiya Castle ends as former Tokugawa shogunate forces withdraw northward to Aizu by way of Nikkō.
- 1870The first game of rugby in New Zealand is played in Nelson between Nelson College and the Nelson Rugby Football Club.
- 1879The first group of 463 Indian indentured laborers arrives in Fiji aboard the Leonidas.
- 1889The children’s charity, the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children is launched in London.
- 1897The Stars and Stripes Forever is first performed in public near Willow Grove Park, Philadelphia.
- 1913Governor of New York William Sulzer approves the charter for the Rockefeller Foundation, which begins operations with a $100 million donation from John D. Rockefeller.
- 1925Virginia Woolf’s novel Mrs Dalloway is published.
- 1931Ådalen shootings: Five people are killed in Ådalen, Sweden, as soldiers open fire on an unarmed trade union demonstration.
- 1935The Philippines ratifies an independence agreement.
- 1939Lina Medina becomes the youngest confirmed mother in medical history at the age of five.
- 1940World War II: Rotterdam is bombed by the German Luftwaffe.
- 1940World War II: The Battle of the Netherlands ends with the Netherlands surrendering to Germany.
- 1940The Yermolayev Yer-2, a long-range Soviet medium bomber, makes its first flight.
- 1943World War II: A Japanese submarine sinks AHS Centaur off the coast of Queensland.
- 1948Israel is declared to be an independent state and a provisional government is established. Immediately after the declaration, Israel is attacked by the neighboring Arab states, triggering the 1948 Arab–Israeli War.
- 1951Trains run on the Talyllyn Railway in Wales for the first time since preservation, making it the first railway in the world to be operated by volunteers.
- 1955Cold War: Eight Communist bloc countries, including the Soviet Union, sign a mutual defense treaty called the Warsaw Pact.
Curious about this Lemon Whipped Cream? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!