The following events took place on May 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 332Constantine the Great announced free distributions of food to the citizens in Constantinople.
- 1096First Crusade: Around 800 Jews are massacred in Worms, Germany
- 1152Henry II of England marries Eleanor of Aquitaine.
- 1268The Principality of Antioch, a crusader state, falls to the Mamluk Sultan Baibars in the Siege of Antioch.
- 1291Fall of Acre, the end of Crusader presence in the Holy Land
- 1302Bruges Matins, the nocturnal massacre of the French garrison in Bruges by members of the local Flemish militia.
- 1388During the Battle of Buyur Lake, General Lan Yu led a Chinese army forward to crush the Mongol hordes of Tögüs Temür, the Khan of Northern Yuan.
- 1499Alonso de Ojeda sets sail from Cádiz on his voyage to what is now Venezuela.
- 1565The Great Siege of Malta begins, in which Ottoman forces attempt and fail to conquer Malta.
- 1565The Royal Audiencia of Concepción is created by a decree of Philip II of Spain.
- 1593Playwright Thomas Kyd’s accusations of heresy lead to an arrest warrant for Christopher Marlowe.
- 1631In Dorchester, Massachusetts, John Winthrop takes the oath of office and becomes the first Governor of Massachusetts.
- 1652Rhode Island passes the first law in English-speaking North America making slavery illegal.
- 1756The Seven Years’ War begins when Great Britain declares war on France.
- 1763Fire destroys a large part of Montreal
- 1783First United Empire Loyalists reach Parrtown (later called Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada after leaving the United States.
- 1803Napoleonic Wars: The United Kingdom revokes the Treaty of Amiens and declares war on France.
- 1804Napoleon Bonaparte is proclaimed Emperor of the French by the French Senate.
- 1811Battle of Las Piedras: The first great military triumph of the revolution of the Río de la Plata in Uruguay led by José Artigas.
- 1812John Bellingham is found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging for the assassination of British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval.
- 1843The Disruption in Edinburgh of the Free Church of Scotland from the Church of Scotland.
- 1848Opening of the first German National Assembly (Nationalversammlung) in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1860Abraham Lincoln wins the Republican Party presidential nomination over William H. Seward, who later becomes the United States Secretary of State.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg begins.
- 1896The United States Supreme Court rules in Plessy v. Ferguson that the “separate but equal” doctrine is constitutional.
- 1896Khodynka Tragedy: A mass panic on Khodynka Field in Moscow during the festivities of the coronation of Russian Tsar Nicholas II results in the deaths of 1,389 people.
- 1900The United Kingdom proclaims a protectorate over Tonga.
- 1910The Earth passes through the tail of Comet Halley.
- 1912The first Indian film, Shree Pundalik by Dadasaheb Torne is released in Mumbai.
- 1917World War I: The Selective Service Act of 1917 is passed, giving the President of the United States the power of conscription.
Curious about this Pink Jelly Star? This is a party item you can activate and send to your friends when you play the free game Jump Birthday Party. It’s a fun and easy-to-play mobile game for all ages. Get free 1,000 gold coins when you download today!