The following events took place on May 18. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 57 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 332Constantine the Great announced free distributions of food to the citizens in Constantinople.
- 1096First Crusade: Around 800 Jews are massacred in Worms, Germany
- 1152Henry II of England marries Eleanor of Aquitaine.
- 1268The Principality of Antioch, a crusader state, falls to the Mamluk Sultan Baibars in the Siege of Antioch.
- 1291Fall of Acre, the end of Crusader presence in the Holy Land
- 1302Bruges Matins, the nocturnal massacre of the French garrison in Bruges by members of the local Flemish militia.
- 1388During the Battle of Buyur Lake, General Lan Yu led a Chinese army forward to crush the Mongol hordes of Tögüs Temür, the Khan of Northern Yuan.
- 1499Alonso de Ojeda sets sail from Cádiz on his voyage to what is now Venezuela.
- 1565The Great Siege of Malta begins, in which Ottoman forces attempt and fail to conquer Malta.
- 1565The Royal Audiencia of Concepción is created by a decree of Philip II of Spain.
- 1593Playwright Thomas Kyd’s accusations of heresy lead to an arrest warrant for Christopher Marlowe.
- 1631In Dorchester, Massachusetts, John Winthrop takes the oath of office and becomes the first Governor of Massachusetts.
- 1652Rhode Island passes the first law in English-speaking North America making slavery illegal.
- 1756The Seven Years’ War begins when Great Britain declares war on France.
- 1763Fire destroys a large part of Montreal
- 1783First United Empire Loyalists reach Parrtown (later called Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada after leaving the United States.
- 1803Napoleonic Wars: The United Kingdom revokes the Treaty of Amiens and declares war on France.
- 1804Napoleon Bonaparte is proclaimed Emperor of the French by the French Senate.
- 1811Battle of Las Piedras: The first great military triumph of the revolution of the Río de la Plata in Uruguay led by José Artigas.
- 1812John Bellingham is found guilty and sentenced to death by hanging for the assassination of British Prime Minister Spencer Perceval.
- 1843The Disruption in Edinburgh of the Free Church of Scotland from the Church of Scotland.
- 1848Opening of the first German National Assembly (Nationalversammlung) in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1860Abraham Lincoln wins the Republican Party presidential nomination over William H. Seward, who later becomes the United States Secretary of State.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg begins.
- 1896The United States Supreme Court rules in Plessy v. Ferguson that the “separate but equal” doctrine is constitutional.
- 1896Khodynka Tragedy: A mass panic on Khodynka Field in Moscow during the festivities of the coronation of Russian Tsar Nicholas II results in the deaths of 1,389 people.
- 1900The United Kingdom proclaims a protectorate over Tonga.
- 1910The Earth passes through the tail of Comet Halley.
- 1912The first Indian film, Shree Pundalik by Dadasaheb Torne is released in Mumbai.
- 1917World War I: The Selective Service Act of 1917 is passed, giving the President of the United States the power of conscription.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!