The following events took place on May 19. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 46 events. Showing 31 - 46.
- 1950A barge containing munitions destined for Pakistan explodes in the harbor at South Amboy, New Jersey, devastating the city.
- 1950Egypt announces that the Suez Canal is closed to Israeli ships and commerce.
- 1959The North Vietnamese Army establishes Group 559, whose responsibility is to determine how to maintain supply lines to South Vietnam; the resulting route is the Ho Chi Minh trail.
- 1961Venera program: Venera 1 becomes the first man-made object to fly-by another planet by passing Venus (the probe had lost contact with Earth a month earlier and did not send back any data).
- 1961At Silchar Railway Station, Assam, 11 Bengalis die when police open fire on protesters demanding state recognition of Bengali language in the Bengali Language Movement.
- 1962A birthday salute to U.S. President John F. Kennedy takes place at Madison Square Garden, New York City. The highlight is Marilyn Monroe’s rendition of “Happy Birthday”.
- 1963The New York Post Sunday Magazine publishes Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Letter from Birmingham Jail.
- 1971Mars probe program: Mars 2 is launched by the Soviet Union.
- 1984Michael Larson, a contestant on the television game show Press Your Luck exploits a bug in the prize board, and wins over US$110,000.
- 1986The Firearm Owners Protection Act is signed into law by U.S. President Ronald Reagan.
- 1991Croatians vote for independence in a referendum.
- 1997The Sierra Gorda biosphere, the most ecologically diverse region in Mexico, is established as a result of grassroots efforts.
- 2007President of Romania Traian Băsescu survives an impeachment referendum and returns to office from suspension.
- 2010The Royal Thai Armed Forces concludes its crackdown on protests by forcing the surrender of United Front for Democracy Against Dictatorship leaders.
- 2012Three gas cylinder bombs explode in front of a vocational school in the Italian city of Brindisi, killing 1 and injuring 5 others.
- 2012A car bomb explodes near a military complex in the Syrian city of Deir ez-Zor, killing 9 people.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Naomi’s personality and get smart about names today. (Sponsored links)