The following events took place on May 2. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 54 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 1194King Richard I of England gives Portsmouth its first Royal Charter.
- 1230William de Braose is hanged by Prince Llywelyn the Great.
- 1335Otto the Merry, Duke of Austria, becomes Duke of Carinthia.
- 1536Anne Boleyn, Queen of England, is arrested and imprisoned on charges of adultery, incest, treason and witchcraft.
- 1559John Knox returns from exile to Scotland to become the leader of the nascent Scottish Reformation.
- 1568Mary, Queen of Scots, escapes from Loch Leven Castle.
- 1611The King James Bible is published for the first time in London, England, by printer Robert Barker.
- 1670King Charles II of England grants a permanent charter to the Hudson’s Bay Company to open up the fur trade in North America.
- 1672John Maitland becomes Duke of Lauderdale and Earl of March.
- 1808Outbreak of the Peninsular War: The people of Madrid rise up in rebellion against French occupation. Francisco de Goya later memorializes this event in his painting The Second of May 1808.
- 1812The Siege of Cuautla during the Mexican War of Independence ends with both sides claiming victory after Mexican rebels under José María Morelos y Pavón abandon the city after 72 days under siege by royalist Spanish troops under Félix María Calleja.
- 1816Marriage of Léopold of Saxe-Coburg and Princess Charlotte of Wales.
- 1829After anchoring nearby, Captain Charles Fremantle of HMS Challenger, declares the Swan River Colony in Australia.
- 1863American Civil War: Stonewall Jackson is wounded by friendly fire while returning to camp after reconnoitering during the Battle of Chancellorsville. He succumbs to pneumonia eight days later.
- 1866Peruvian defenders fight off the Spanish fleet at the Battle of Callao.
- 1876The April Uprising breaks out in Bulgaria.
- 1879The Spanish Socialist Workers‘ Party is founded in Casa Labra Pub (city of Madrid) by the historical Spanish workers’leader Pablo Iglesias.
- 1885Good Housekeeping magazine goes on sale for the first time.
- 1885Cree and Assiniboine warriors win the Battle of Cut Knife, their largest victory over Canadian forces during the North-West Rebellion.
- 1885The Congo Free State is established by King Léopold II of Belgium.
- 1889Menelik II, Emperor of Ethiopia, signs a treaty of amity with Italy, giving Italy control over Eritrea.
- 1906Closing ceremony of the Intercalated Games in Athens, Greece.
- 1918General Motors acquires the Chevrolet Motor Company of Delaware.
- 1920The first game of the Negro National League baseball is played in Indianapolis.
- 1932Comedian Jack Benny’s radio show airs for the first time.
- 1933Gleichschaltung: Adolf Hitler bans trade unions.
- 1941Following the coup d'état against Iraq Crown Prince 'Abd al-Ilah earlier that year, the United Kingdom launches the Anglo-Iraqi War to restore him to power.
- 1945World War II: Fall of Berlin: The Soviet Union announces the capture of Berlin and Soviet soldiers hoist their red flag over the Reichstag building.
- 1945World War II: Italian Campaign: General Heinrich von Vietinghoff signs the official instrument of surrender of all Wehrmacht forces in Italy.
- 1945World War II: The US 82nd Airborne Division liberates Wöbbelin concentration camp finding 1000 dead prisoners, most of whom starved to death.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!