The following events took place on May 28. The list is arranged in chronological order.
Found 49 events. Showing 1 - 30.
- 585 BCA solar eclipse occurs, as predicted by the Greek philosopher and scientist Thales, while Alyattes is battling Cyaxares in the Battle of Halys, leading to a truce. This is one of the cardinal dates from which other dates can be calculated.
- 621Battle of Hulao: Li Shimin, the son of the Chinese emperor Gao Zu, defeats the numerically superior forces of Dou Jiande near the Hulao Pass (Henan). This victory decides the outcome of the civil war that followed the Sui dynasty’s collapse in favour of the Tang dynasty.
- 1503James IV of Scotland and Margaret Tudor are married according to a papal bull by Pope Alexander VI. A Treaty of Everlasting Peace between Scotland and England signed on that occasion results in a peace that lasts ten years.
- 1533The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer, declares the marriage of King Henry VIII of England to Anne Boleyn valid.
- 1588The Spanish Armada, with 130 ships and 30,000 men, sets sail from Lisbon, Portugal, heading for the English Channel. (It will take until May 30 for all ships to leave port.)
- 1644Bolton Massacre by Royalist troops under the command of James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby.
- 1754French and Indian War: In the first engagement of the war, Virginia militia under the 22-year-old Lieutenant colonel George Washington defeat a French reconnaissance party in the Battle of Jumonville Glen in what is now Fayette County in southwestern Pennsylvania.
- 1830U.S. President Andrew Jackson signs the Indian Removal Act which relocates Native Americans.
- 1871Fall of the Paris Commune.
- 1892In San Francisco, John Muir organizes the Sierra Club.
- 1900Gare d'Orsay railway station is inaugurated in Paris.
- 1905Russo-Japanese War: The Battle of Tsushima ends with the destruction of the Russian Baltic Fleet by Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō and the Imperial Japanese Navy.
- 1907The first Isle of Man TT race was held.
- 1918The Azerbaijan Democratic Republic and the First Republic of Armenia declare their independence.
- 1926The 28 May 1926 coup d'état: Ditadura Nacional is established in Portugal to suppress the unrest of the First Republic.
- 1932In the Netherlands, construction of the Afsluitdijk is completed and the Zuiderzee bay is converted to the freshwater IJsselmeer.
- 1934Near Callander, Ontario, Canada, the Dionne quintuplets are born to Oliva and Elzire Dionne; they will be the first quintuplets to survive infancy.
- 1936Alan Turing submits On Computable Numbers for publication.
- 1936Klaipėda Radio Station begins regular broadcasting.
- 1937The Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California, is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in Washington, D.C., who pushes a button signaling the start of vehicle traffic over the span.
- 1937Volkswagen (VW), the German automobile manufacturer is founded.
- 1940World War II: Belgium surrenders to Nazi Germany to end the Battle of Belgium.
- 1940World War II: Norwegian, French, Polish and British forces recapture Narvik in Norway. This is the first allied infantry victory of the War.
- 1942World War II: In retaliation for the assassination attempt on Reinhard Heydrich, Nazis in Czechoslovakia kill over 1,800 people.
- 1948Daniel François Malan is elected as Prime Minister of South Africa. He later goes on to implement Apartheid.
- 1951The British radio comedy program The Goon Show is broadcast on the BBC for the first time.
- 1952The women of Greece are granted the right to vote.
- 1958Cuban Revolution: Fidel Castro’s 26th of July Movement, heavily reinforced by Frank Pais Militia, overwhelm an army post in El Uvero.
- 1961Peter Benenson’s article The Forgotten Prisoners is published in several internationally read newspapers. This will later be thought of as the founding of the human rights organization Amnesty International.
- 1964The Palestine Liberation Organization is formed.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Just for fun! Try your love match score with anyone. Even officemates, schoolmates, or find out the score for your parents and relatives. Don’t limit yourself – you can also pair yourself with any celebrity. It’s a FREE report. Nothing to buy!